Northbridge thermal paste cleaning/applying?

By agi_shi
Oct 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am going to get a DFI mobo soon, and it's a steal - 95$ for AM2 with SLI (when the chip is modded to an NF4 SLI, or softmodded).....

HOWEVER - it has this pathetic little fan on the northbridge - i want to replace it. I am going to replace it with this heatsink... ok and all....

BUT - while I know about CPU thermal paste application/removal i know nothing about northbridge thermal paste. Can i still use AS5? How much of it? How do i take off the thermal paste that was on there before?
  2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 638

Use acetone or isopropanol and some q-tips to clean off the old thermal paste, after that it's pretty much the same as on a CPU - use half a rice-grain worth of thermal paste. Yes you can use AS5.
  3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Be careful with the northbridge. I've just removed my chipset's heatsink, removed the old grease, and applied a SMALL amount of AS5. The northbridge (Geforce 6100) is VERY small. I suppose that a Nforce chipset is almost the same size.
    Make sure you don't apply too much force to it. :unch:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.