TechSpot

Northbridge thermal paste cleaning/applying?

By agi_shi
Oct 11, 2006
  1. I am going to get a DFI mobo soon, and it's a steal - 95$ for AM2 with SLI (when the chip is modded to an NF4 SLI, or softmodded).....

HOWEVER - it has this pathetic little fan on the northbridge - i want to replace it. I am going to replace it with this heatsink... ok and all....

BUT - while I know about CPU thermal paste application/removal i know nothing about northbridge thermal paste. Can i still use AS5? How much of it? How do i take off the thermal paste that was on there before?

2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 545

Use acetone or isopropanol and some q-tips to clean off the old thermal paste, after that it's pretty much the same as on a CPU - use half a rice-grain worth of thermal paste. Yes you can use AS5.

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Be careful with the northbridge. I've just removed my chipset's heatsink, removed the old grease, and applied a SMALL amount of AS5. The northbridge (Geforce 6100) is VERY small. I suppose that a Nforce chipset is almost the same size.
    Make sure you don't apply too much force to it. :unch:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.