Norton AntiVirus 2005 always crashes even though fresh install

By PelleTM
Apr 12, 2006
  1. Hey, Norton always crashes even though I have installed it fresh from the disc and ran a virus check. It takes a couple of minutes then it terminates. The fire wall also acts extremely erratic and is a huge headache. It actually worked for about a day yesterday without crashing just after the fresh install.

It refers to ccapp.exe when detailing the crash. What can I do to fix this? My brother has a computer exactly the same as mine (hardware-wise), and his norton runs perfectly.

I have also run Ad-Aware and removed everything.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

My advice would be to get rid of that Norton crapware.

We see lots of problems on these forums due to that crap.

Take a look HERE.

Just in case your system is infected by something nasty, go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. PelleTM

PelleTM TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thanks, nothing would make me happier than to throw that crap out the window! But what should I use instead? Will the regular windows fire wall be OK?
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

free firewalls from e.g. Kerio (from Sunbelt) or Outpost (from Agnitum).
    Both programs will switch off the lousy one-way Windows firewall.

If you don't have one yet, get a router, it's added protection and should be used even on a single PC IMHO.
  5. PelleTM

PelleTM TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Where do I join the I hate Norton-club? Removing Norton also solved my other problem! It's really a devil in disguise. And the way they market Norton it's like you're forever lost without it. :bounce:

**edit** was going to suggest a sticky thread detailing how crappy Norton is but I noticed there already was a semi-related thread :p I found the Norton-thread that was linked earlier in this here a lot more informative though.
  6. howard_hopkinso

Take a look HERE.

Regards Howard :)
  7. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 356

I believe there is also a support group that meets on Thursdays in the evening :)
  8. sue

sue TS Rookie

Need help uninstalling Norton

After 2 weeks of manually uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2004, I still have the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. The icon shows up on my desktop, and when I go into Explorer there it is and I cannot delete it using any method known to me. I cleaned it out so nothing is in it. Symantec was less than helpful. I first got a warning message from Norton about my virus protection being turned off. I was able to turn it back on the first day I got the message, then after that I got other messages and was unable to turn it back on. After a couple of days of that, when I went into Norton all my virus protection was listed as "Tampered." Then they told me the license I paid for last August which was for a year (through 8/06) was invalid - with no refund. And that I could purchase the new product since the old product was "unsupported." They couldn't even help me get the old product off my machine! Anyway, I believe I have all the files deleted off my PC but need to get rid of the recycle bin. Do I need to do something to use the default recycle bin within Windows XP Pro? I do not have any options within Properties of the Norton Recycle Bin. And I am not going to reinstall the product. I will gladly delete any files, change things in the Registry, etc. I currently have most of the services under MSCONFIG shut down - only left the Microsoft services and one Intel service. I have 3 others that are checked and I am wondering about - Machine Debug Manager, SAVscan, and ScriptBlocking Service, all manufacturer unknown. Having them running or not does not seem to have made a discernable difference.

Also, I am currently online without any protection. I have a new product (Computer Associates e-something) through my ISP. Can I load that before annihilating Norton?

One last thing. Now when I am in Internet Explorer I cannot expand articles (where you click on the + sign), although I can in Mozilla (which I normally use anyway). Nor can I expand things within Help products, nothing happens (I've also only tried to access help within Microsoft Outlook, so it may just be something needed for Microsoft products). I assume there was something within the Norton subdirectories for those functions or it is possible I deleted or uninstalled them by mistake. I did dump something that I think was SYMWMI at one point trying to get rid of all the Symantec stuff.

Any help with any of the above would be much appreciated.
  9. howard_hopkinso

Hello sue and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look at this guide to uninstalling Norton HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

no need to pay for most software when you can use opensource equivelents that are free and just as good.

Use AVG free for an anti-virus. It's better than norton home, unless you're a US Federal employee - then you can use norton corporate for free with a government license.

Use for an office-suite

Use Mozilla or firefox as a webbrowser

Use Thunderbird for an email client
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.