Norton ghost/acronis image problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i work in the it industry we have just bought some new hp dc5800 and we have about 40 of them so we need to install of the software and make a image of one. over the last week we have tried lots of ways we first tried using norton ghost 11 using network support to make a image of the machine and store it to our server, we then get a new pc from the box try we use norton ghost 11 to put the image on the machine using network support, the image copies over fine with no problems but soon as you reboot the computer it fails to start it goes all through the windows loading screen but then it goes the the blue background with windows logo on it like it about to bring up windows but just hangs there. we tried several ways like back up to a hard drive, doing a partition image and a whole disk image but had the same problem and error at each reboot.

so at this point we are ripping our hair out to what the answer is as this was the second problem we encountered as the computer for starters did not like our service pack 1 volume license disc but service pack to disk sort that out.

so from there we went to acronis and used the backup facility to and hard drive then recovery to the new computer but still the same problems occurs when trying to boot windows. Then we tried using the clone disk feature but it would not see the second hard drive we put in the computer.

so at this point nearly a week after we got the computer we were still pulling our hair out. we figured maybe it is to new hardware for ghost 11 and acronis so we moved up to ghost 14.

install norton ghost 14 on new computer we want to image and the easiest way to to it is clone the hard drive so i pulled the hard drive out of the computer we need to put the image and tried the process work great but go to reboot and first we got ntlrd missing or operating system not found so i played around with settings and got it to boot but still when it gets to loads windows we get the same problem.

And that is where we are now we are stuck and do not know what to do next. we have been in touch with who we bought it form and they said they have had problems like this with other customers and all they did is play around with the bios settings particularly a setting in device configuration called translution which has various settings in it but we have played around with this and tried ghosting it after changing the settings but still we have the same problem so no joy there and the company do not help anymore than that and think we are just being stupid.

so if anyone has got any ideas, solutions, or similar problems please let me know hope someone can help.

Go Back TechSpot OpenBoards > OS & Software > Misc. Software & Utilities
Reload this Page Post New Thread

Welcome, matty5225.
You last visited: 06-15-2008 at 11:19 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0.

Forum: Misc. Software & Utilities Post New Thread
Logged in as matty5225
Message Title:

* Be descriptive with your subject.
* Do NOT use excessive signs (??? or !!! etc.)
* Do NOT CAPITALIZE your words.
* Topics with generic subjects will be deleted without any notification. rey

Should have been an exact copy
Have you tried just making an image to CD/DVD just to see if it recovers fully?
This will eliminate if using a network you are inadvertantly loading some extra files that you shouldn't be

Here's all the links I usually provide

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)

ok thanks i will give that a go. but have you ever come across a problem like this before. do you think it could be the hardware being to new.

another point i would like to make that it was originally a vista pc and comes with a downgrade disc could this maybe be any clue

This post is aimed at trying to help out some of the posts on this forum, which is basicall a summary of my experiences while cloning.
After wasting a lot of time and going through several different methods suggested by moderators on the Symantec forum (thats the indication I clone with Norton Ghost 14). In the end what helped was a lot of google-ing and a friend's suggestion.

The solution i provide is to solve the fact that after cloning the cloned hard drive will boot up and get stuck at the blue win xp logo screen.

The first and biggest mistake I made was to try to clone to a second hard drive which was already installed on my computer (named drive G:\). ERROR. To cut through the chase, all I had to do was delete the partition on that hard drive (done through the disk mngmnt tool in win xp).
this effectively made the hard drive "disappear" in my computer, but norton ghost still labelled it with an * and called it unallocated space.

After cloning and making sure i checked the "make bootable" and "convert to primary drive", i switched off my computer, removed the cable from the original drive and it booted perfectly from the clone.
VOILA.
hope this helps some of u!

Thank YOu rajuraju Ghost v14

Your advise was excellent! I deleted the partition and recloned.
Made bootable and active primary. Disconnected the old and rebooted.
Worked just fine. I'm using it right now.
One strange thing occured on bootup. On a black screen in the post I get a choice of boot OS?
1. Windows XP Professional
2. Windows XP/2003
I used 1. but this is an extra step that didn't happen with the old hard drive xp installation. Any ideas how to get rid of this?

Again Thanks, you are the man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back