Norton Protected Recycle Bin and phantom file

By JLJ
Jun 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've searched around a lot of Norton forum topics, and while I may have missed it, I haven't seen this problem before:

I run Win98SE w/ Systemworks 2003 Pro. When trying to empty the recycle bin and/or empty all protected files and/or erase the bin (with Eraser), Norton insists it cannot delete "DE24". I know this naming convention indicates it is a once-deleted file, but I think it's a phantom.

I have tried various combinations of enabling/disabling Protection; setting global and/or independent Bin settings (I have three partitions); I've wiped the swapfile and all free space on all partitions clean; etc. I've tried deleting NPROTECT.LOG. Nothing works, Norton still insists there is a file named "DE24" which cannot be gotten rid of. Nothing with this name appears in any known folder/file/registry key.

The only thing I have not done in uninstall/reinstall any part of Systemworks, because that's a PITA.

Any info? THX JLJ
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.