Not detecting hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My compaq evo n600c is not reconizing the hard drive. When I initially turn it on it says disk Error 1780 So I assumed my hard drive was either corrupt or needed to be replaced. In the next screen it prompts me that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. Its a stop error screen that says check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives or make sure its configged properly. I tried to format but it still wouldnt reconize the hard drive and prompted me the the brtfdc.sys file was corrupt. I am just wondering if I am going to need a whole new hard drive or is there a way around this. I did not recieve any boot disk with my computer as it was 2nd hand and there isn't even a slot for boot disks. Please help.

melissahicks84@hotmail.com

This is most likely a bad hard drive. You have to be able to "see" a drive before you can do anything with it, or to it. The hard drive can be accessed by removing a plastic cover on the left side of the keyboard, about in the middle of the left side. I'm afraid that you will loose all your data. You might be able to buy a set of restore disc's from HP, or you can take the notebook to a repair facility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back