Not enough fan connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenhomz

I am using a case that has three fans two up front and one at the rear. When connecting them to the mobo there was only two sockets so i attached one front and one rear. Is there a way to connect all three or some part available to allow the two front in the same socket?

Quite normal
As I have multiple Fans too, my M\B ran out of connections as well
I ended up using one of the PowerSupply connectors. Note: I had specifically purchase a fan that had this connection on - directly to PowerSupply, but you can purchase adapter wiring that allows your 2 or 3 pin wire to connect into the PowerSupply connector.

Keep in mind that fans connected directly to the PSU will always run at full speed, so choose wisely.

will a fan running at full speed cause a problem or will it just be noisy? and is connecting the fan to the psu the only option

No doubt there's some PCI card with fan controllers out there, that I'm not aware of
By the way, I am aware of PCI cards that include a Fan (generally made to cool PCI-E Video cards)

Anyway, mine have been noisily (not that noisily really) running at full speed for way over a year, so no issue

Yes I am aware of those, if you do not have a direct fan connection to the powersupply plugs

AK-FY320.jpg

Otherwise, just use fans with the powersupply plugs already made

Oh I lost the point

Yes they're good :)

Interesting, I didn't know such a cable existed... looks neat. So, can the motherboard (or the user) control the fan speed of two fans simultaneously? If using that splitter cable, that is.

What if the fans have different RPM limits? Also, won't it increase the chances of frying the mobo? since you're exceeding the voltage that fan controller can handle... or something like that.

I used the splitter cable for the two front fans which should run at the same speed. I doubt they will cause the mobo any voltage problems. I have had them running for a couple of days and everything seems fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back