TechSpot

Not full screen when connected to HDTV

By fan1bsb97
Jul 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone. I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my Sony Vaio VPCEB11FM laptop. Ever since, when I connect an HDMI cord to watch something on my tv, there are about 6 inch black bars on all sides of the display on the tv, so the video is not full screen.

When I plug in the cord, the Vaio control center pops up. Under "select resolution" on the screen that pops up 768 is selected and 1080 is grayed out. The "Adjust resolution" tab is disabled.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

After installing Windows did you reinstall the chipset driver from Intel?

3. fan1bsb97

fan1bsb97 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 124

I think so...it pops up in the tray when I connect the HDMI cord.

4. bmw95

bmw95 TS Rookie

I remember the same thing happened when I connected via hdmi. If you have an AMD video card, it has a scaling option in the software. If youc lick on "My digital Flat panels" and then click on "Scaling options (Digital Flat-Panel)", a screen should come up and drag the pointer as far as you can to the right. That should fix it. To get to the AMD software right click and choose AMD VISION.... etc. If its either an intel or nvidia gpu, they might having scaling options too.

5. fan1bsb97

Thanks, it's intel. The scale doesn't go any higher though.

Thanks anyway! Anyone else have any ideas?

6. fan1bsb97

I think I figured it out - I actually had to make the resolution smaller. Thanks!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.