TechSpot

Not genuine.

By beef_jerky4104
Jul 10, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I have a genuine copy of M$ Windows XP PRO SP1. But M$ says I don't and won't let me download updates from them. This is leaving a huge gap in security in my PC. I managed to download Service Pack 2 from some random website. It is installed can anybody direct me to any other 3rd Party websites that I could get similar updates from?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,865   +165

I have an old Genuine copy of XP Home pre sp1 that has the same problem. I have a Genuine copy of XP Pro SP2 that I use now. Suck it up and by a new copy of XP Home or Pro, SP2. You can get Pro, SP2 for around $90

3. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,094

Yeah, I have a friend who's company has a contract deal thing with M$. He said he could probably get me a copy of Vista Business for $10.

4. Tmagic650

Cool price... go for it, but be prepared for problems. Hopefully you won't have any

5. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Call Microsoft. I seriously doubt a 'genuine' copy of the software would be locked out UNLESS you bought it (with or without a comp) from someone who copied it and is still using it.

Going around the issue just makes you a criminal too.

IMO

:)

6. beef_jerky4104

Maybe I should setup a dual boot so I can still play games good on XP.

7. Tmagic650

The Windows Update problem is an Activation problem I know. I can call Microsoft but to update XP Home all the way to SP1 and SP2 is a real pain :zzz:

8. Tmagic650

Good idea,
    I would like to do that too

9. beef_jerky4104

I did. They told me to call Fry's.

10. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Tmagic650 - once you get the approval just make a slipstreamed disk and never have to worry again.

11. beef_jerky4104

CCT I wish I would have done that with my copy of Windows XP.

12. Tmagic650

I have made Slipstreamed copies of XP Home SP2 but they are "lost" in my office somewhere... I have Windows 98SE, Windows Me Full, Windows 2000 Pro (no service packs) that I never use any longer. I can find those :rolleyes:

In fact, I have a Windows 95 Rev. C here too

13. beef_jerky4104

The bad part is I can't download IE7 so I'm using Mozilla because it has tabs too. I hate using more than one window. But because of the new layout I'm not quite used to Mozilla.

14. beef_jerky4104

Yes I know this is a double post, but it has a different subject from the last.

I noticed Automatic Updates was download updates. Maybe they will still install. I will reply when this is confirmed.

EDIT: It is confirmed. I recieved the message telling me I had to restart my PC to complete the update process.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.