Not reading Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubble

Hello, I have this problem that when I put a disc into the drive, the driver doesn't read it. I wanted to install something and the disc wasn't being read, and when I tried just some other disc that my computer always read, it didn't read it this time.

Please Help.

I tried re installing Windows but it won't boot from the CD.
I just want to be clear about what you are doing
You say in your other thread that the screen is black (in Windows Normal mode)
And the reply back was to re-install Windows! As it may be a Virus! And you asked around and others said the same!
And now your Windows CD disc does not boot.

Well I don't. Although you may actually have a Virus (who knows) it's unlikely it's causing a black screen in Windows.

Now I know this thread is about "Disc" (as you say) but please try this first.
Turn on your computer
Repeatedly press the F8 key on your keyboard
Select Safe Mode
Log on to your Administrator account

In Safe Mode Windows (a reduced functionality of Normal Mode Windows) do this:
Open Device Manager ie Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc
Click on the + sign against "Display Adapters"
Right click on your actual Display adapter device, that it expands to
Select un-install (it may say remove or delete) Do this.
When your Display Adapter device is fully removed. Restart normally

Does Display now work in Normal Mode? (By the way, you may need to download the drivers for your Video card. Your specs presently unknown!)

OK that was my dads computer that we can't get in image from. I can't find out what his specs are on his computer because I can't get into safe mode, when I press F8 it just brings me to this thing that says DVD/CD drivers.

My computer has Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz
2 GB RAM
32 bit
149 GB on local disk

And is that supposed to help me with the problem I am having right now where my computer can't read discs? Sorry, I am not to good with computers so

when I press F8 it just brings me to this thing that says DVD/CD drivers.
Well from there you should be able to select your CD drive as first boot option.

But actually I didn't mean that screen (exactly)
Your computer kinda has two F8 commands, that do two different things
Try F8 again, but this time, wait just a few more secs before pressing it. If it helps any, it'll be just after the initial system boot up screen, and just before Windows starts loading. Please try it (you may need to try a few times to actually get the screen I'm speaking of, ie Safe Mode option)

F8 doesn't even work now for some reason, but we can still open the BIOS on my dads computer. And how would I fix the cd/dvd problem on my computer?

Sorry it's too confusing to talk about two different computers
Especially when we are talking about 2 different faults, on one of the computers!

As this thread is about " Not reading Discs" I'll try to help with just that, and not worry about anything else.

I have this problem that when I put a disc into the drive, the driver doesn't read it. I wanted to install something and the disc wasn't being read
Is this happening in Windows or at system startup?
If in Windows have tried other discs to confirm it's not the installation disc you are using?
If so try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228985
(Note: swap the word game for installation CD)
Or try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back