Not Recognizing New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new CD burner for my computer and after i installed it a message came up during start up that there were no cd rom drives present when clearly everything was plugged in can somebody please help me with this problem thank you.

is there anothe optical drive on the same cable as this new drive? and did you set the jumper properly on the new CD burner?

how would i go to setting the jumper right? To tell you the truth this is only my second time putting one of these things into a computer so i might not have set things right so maybe you can give me some advice. Because there is another cdrom drive in the computer already.

The problem is probably that both optical drives now have the same jumper setting. CD burners usually come set to slave by default. the easiest way to get th proper jumper setting is to look at where the jumper setting is on the drive you took out. set the new CD Burner to the same jumper setting as the old one.

most of the oems I have seen have the cdrom if no dvd drive as master on the 2nd ide port
if you have 2 cdrom drives now you must check to see if the jumper on the back of first one is to set master not CS(cable select),use the plug farthest from motherboard.
the 2nd one set jumper to slave ,
if that does not work and you can use the 1st ide port
put the 2nd one on the plug left on cable leave it set to slave
only if hard drive is set to master if hard drive set to CS set also to cs.sometimes ya gotta play with config
watch you cables some machines use 2 diff cables to save on money hard drive is 80 wire 40 pin if ide ata
cdrom cable (OEM)can be 40 wire 40 pin
good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back