Not sure about power supply

By axl123
Jul 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Heya guys,

I had put together a pc 3 years back and upgraded the gfx card and processor over the past 1-2 years. So, now I am wondering whether the power supply is still decent enough to run my hardware on a "moderate" level.

I hope that you could advise me which power supply to go for should my current not be enough to run my system sufficiently.

Power supply: Fortron 400 watt ATX

Motherboard: Asus MBA M2N-E AM2
    Ram: 2Gb DDR2 PC5300 667MHz
    Processor: AMD Athlon64X2 6000+ AM2
    GFX card: Nvidia gforce 7900gt 256 MB
    HDD: Maxtor 6g160eo 7200 RPM

Thanks for your help ! :cool:
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

It remains as good as it was.
    You will have problems with your Maxtor drive first. Replace the power supply when the drive fails which will be pretty soon.
    There is a good list in the TechSpot archives listing a great number of the best power supplies...
    But it is all a matter of cost, and you will have to tell us the budget\
    Blind buy, I would get a Corsair 600 watt... because it will last long into the future of your next build.
  3. axl123

axl123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your reply. I am currently looking for a new HDD, 1 TB should be plenty enough for me considering I am only using the pc for some gaming and the price is not an issue. As for the replacement power supply(preferably around 550-600 watt), I am willing to spend around 80 euros/dollars for it. Of course, if there is a PSU which is a slightly above my mentioned budget but highly recommended, I will go for it!
  4. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Take a look at this PSU.
  5. axl123

axl123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have been searching about this particular PSU and came to the conclusion that this branch doesn't deliver its products to my country, namely The Netherlands :mad:

This would otherwise be an excellent replacement for my current PSU. Anyhow, thank you for taking your time :)
  6. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

For your above system the Corsair 400CX should be quite sufficient. I think you'll be able to get Corsair.