TechSpot

Not sure how to set up 5.1 sound in Windows 7

By sali91
Mar 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi TS,

purchased a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers recently but i can't seem to figure out how to get all 5 speakers + sub to output sound in Windows 7 Ultimate x32.

In Realtek HD Audio Manager Which speaker do i assign to which jack?

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

Thanks
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

The Logitech instructions usually work pretty well.
  3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

You'll need software that actually outputs in 5.1 surround sound. The first time I had a surround sound system connected to a computer I thought my DVD player software would automatically output the sound correctly for me, but I had to pay a bit extra to allow the software to do that. Until I paid the bit extra it would only output stereo sound.
  4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Get a soundcard to make the most of your speakers, even a cheap one will be way better than your onboard audio.
  5. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 892   +39

To make 5.1 to work, in addition to the green connection, your sound card should have black and orange for rear & center/subwoofer output. Otherwise, you'll need new sound card as slh28 suggested.

If your speakers has a S/PDIF connection, then you can probably get 5.1 working that way.
  6. sali91

sali91 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thank you :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.