TechSpot

Not sure how to set up 5.1 sound in Windows 7

By sali91
Mar 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi TS,

purchased a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers recently but i can't seem to figure out how to get all 5 speakers + sub to output sound in Windows 7 Ultimate x32.

In Realtek HD Audio Manager Which speaker do i assign to which jack?

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The Logitech instructions usually work pretty well.

3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

You'll need software that actually outputs in 5.1 surround sound. The first time I had a surround sound system connected to a computer I thought my DVD player software would automatically output the sound correctly for me, but I had to pay a bit extra to allow the software to do that. Until I paid the bit extra it would only output stereo sound.

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Get a soundcard to make the most of your speakers, even a cheap one will be way better than your onboard audio.

5. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

To make 5.1 to work, in addition to the green connection, your sound card should have black and orange for rear & center/subwoofer output. Otherwise, you'll need new sound card as slh28 suggested.

If your speakers has a S/PDIF connection, then you can probably get 5.1 working that way.

6. sali91

sali91 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you :)