TechSpot

Not sure if my motherboard or video card is broken

By gingerbill
Nov 8, 2009
  1. got an 8800gts640 using a P5vd2-x motherboard . Using XP and the computer is 3 years old .

Was playing a game when it froze and purple lines appeared on the screen , rebooted the PC , it had purple lines on the screen while booting up but not in windows . In windows its is running slow when looking at websites ( seems to redraw the screen while scrolling down) .

There's a yellow exclamation mark next to the video card on the device manager . Says " cannot start device error code 10" . Did a search on that but nothing really helpul .

So my mate lent me his spare 8600 card , i put that straight in but the computer had the same purple lines got into windows then crashed , reset itself but wouldnt get by the very start off boot up , saying an error message that sounded serious and wouldnt even boot up at all .

Put my original card back in and it booted up with the purple lines that then dissapeared once in windows , it said windows had recovered from a critical system failure . So i can use the computer in windows but if the website has any graphics on it it scrolls down very slowly . Also i cant load up any games as they will crash quickly .

Should my friends card have worked just by plugging it in as its an nvidia card as well? Not sure now if my video card is broken or the motherboard . I havent re-installed the crivers which i will but im sure that wont make any diffrence .

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

don't be so sure about the drivers not making a difference, do that first and holler back. It does sound like a hardware problem however. more like memory however. run memtest after you reinstall the video drivers.
    http://www.memtest.org/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.