Not too sure what might be wrong with computer

purpsie209

none of my USB or inputs detect keyboard and mouse. when started, all fans turn on including heatsink fan. Motherboard green LED light is on. No beeping noise are made. so after its been powered up the monitor is in sleep mode from the initial power start. computer ran fine last time it was used. computer has been stored away for awhile. Is it possible that my motherboard or CPU is messed up or fried? I tried using the same monitor on an hp tower and no mouse/keyboard is even needed for the monitor to come to life. not too sure what else it could be....like i said everything seems to turn on just screen comes on in sleepmode cuz no usb and keyboard/mouse inputs do not work.

It could be a failed power supply as well. Please list your system specifications so members might have a better understanding of what might be going on.

Specs
motherboard: Asus P4s533-x
Processor: Intel P4 2.66ghz/512/533 SL6Sk
Antech 380W power supply
80GB Western Digital HD
3DForce FX-5200 graphics
512 ram

Bought this custom computer from adtech as fully assembled gaming computer in 03.

So ive been trying to figure out what is wrong with this computer.

computer seems to start up, with no beeps, just the sounds of the fans and HD powering up. It does make slight sound(no beeps) but the sound of something loading up like downloading noise. not sure if you know the sound that im talking about. Im thinking the processor is still good cuz i think thats where that downloading sound is comming from.

The motherboard I think might be bad because none of the usb ports/ keyboard and mouse ports do not work. (keyboard/mouse light up like it gets power then shuts off)

mailpup: could it still be a failed power supply even though it powers up all fans, heatsink fan, HD?

If my motherboard is bad, would an expensive gaming Motherboard be compatible with my processor? not too sure if my processor or anything on my setup is any good. i dont really play any hardcore games besides world of warcraft on standard detail. i just basicly want to be able to play with no lag and decent fps.

could it still be a failed power supply even though it powers up all fans, heatsink fan, HD?
Yes, it could be. The PSU puts out different voltages for different components and the PSU might not be putting out sufficient current (amps) to power everything. Mind you, I'm only saying it's a possibility, not a certainty.

If the monitor shows no input, how are you determining that the mouse and keyboard aren't working? I'm not saying they do work. I'm only asking how you decided they aren't.

monitor shows no input correct. I determined that the keyboard/mouse arent working because when either initially plugged in, the lights on the keyboard flash to signify they have been plugged in, but the keyboard lights are supposed to be on.

update* usb ports do get power, they are currently charging my ipod. is there a way to possibly check voltages with a volt meter?

It's possible although I don't know which pins are which. It's possible that one or more of your components are failing or have failed. Try substituting known good parts. Do you have access to another power supply and graphics card? How about trying one RAM stick at a time?

hey man after all this diagnosing finally figured out it was bad ram....finally was able to get a hold of the ram i needed and it finally booted up. Thanks mailpup for the tips!

well its not completely fixed.....it starts up and everything, but it loads up 50+ programs when i look in msconfig/startup. which ones can i uncheck? Im trying to make this computer like brand new. although the computer doesn't have a factory restore like the HP I've got. I got a copy of norton 360 and scanned and cleaned the 10k+temporary internet and windows files and like 40 low risk trackers. And yet this rig still runs incredibly slow. take 20 or so mins until i can even get a program to open. Also, windows xp wont shut dont, i can only log off then shut down from their, when ctrl alt del is pressed i cant access the task manager. Any advice???
Thanks, Justin

Take a look at this thread for some information regarding some of the processes you can uncheck: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic104136.html.

That said, you appear to have several problems. You might want to consider performing a clean install of Windows XP to clear all of them up. Do you have a Windows XP CD, the same version that's installed?

No i dont have a copy of windows xp, otherwise i would have just done that, because i cant even access the internet or anyting. seems like alot of things are disabled forsure. I think a clean install of xp would probably be the best idea but may set me back due to lack of funds. I will try the link you provided and post any new updates.

Thanks, Justin

Back