Notebook batteries

By DonNagual
Apr 13, 2006
  1. Yeesh. Anyone else have a 19" wide monitor with a Geforce GO 7800GTX GPU? I can not believe how fast my battery runs out!

The cpu is the Pentium M 760, and it automatically underclocks itself to 800Ghz for power consumption when browsing the internet.

I literally can watch the power meter drain about a percent per minute. I have already turned the GPUs power consumption down to the lowest settings.

I guess I need to buy about 3 more batteries before I take my next flight anywhere!
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

kind of like my toshiba laptop- a real battery hog.
  3. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Yea, I know what you mean Don. Mine only last about 1 hour - 2 hours at most. So I guess you're best beat is to buy those batteries.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Or invest in some 'older' games like Tic-Tac-Toe, or Chess, or Sudoku that you can run in Black & White.
    Especially Tic-Tac-Toe should really stimulate the brain, I've been told!

On a different note, did you ever LOOK at the battery-life when you were selecting a new laptop?
  5. altheman

altheman TS Rookie Posts: 425

my laptop uses 1% per minute (well...more or less) :-(
  6. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 487

My friend has a Sony Vaio and his battery only lasts 15-20mins. He bought a new battery and it has the same problem!!!
  7. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Hum. I don't remember posting in this form?? Must have been at night/ in the morning.

If you can have a small back pack then you could get a small 12vdc battery and then a small inverter say 120watts (about 20-40$$) and it will convert 12vdc into 120vac (max 240 watts) which should be more then efficient. I use a a small 12volt battery from one of those little toddler cars. It can last 3 days straight 24/7.

It just take some basic modification and can also work in a car. Then it is just like plugging it into an outlet.

I hope you have American standard outlet or else this won't work.

I have a 90 watt laptop in this type of configuration.
  8. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 487

I dont have an american outlet. CAn you possibly attach a pic of what you have done to your laptop though. Just wanna check it out. BTW is there any other solution??? Is this problem curable?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.