NotFound organization uses 404 error pages to profile missing children

By Shawn Knight
Sep 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A European organization known as NotFound is encouraging website owners to install an application that displays the profile of a missing child on each 404 error page that visitors encounter. The group, recently formed in collaboration with Child Focus, Famous...

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 811   +93

Very good idea. Hopefully they can find this, too: [link]
  3. Very good initiative. Thanks
  4. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

That's actually a pretty awesome idea
  5. Really? Isn't this just going to be like those 'feed the starving' ads that run at dinner time and we learn to ignore? Further, I hope they can make this geographically relevant or I will be seeing missing kids from China on my screen here in Oz. Yuck.
  6. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 135   +42

As a Belgian (Child Focus is a Belgian organization) I'm proud this gets the attention it needs/merits.

Even if only ONE person watches the custom 404 pages and can help find a kid, it's already a win!
    spydercanopus likes this.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Could probably
    Just learn to ignore it and you'll be fine. :p
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Not a good idea!

Good intentions and a nice sentiment but will open the door for more broken links just to promote what ever is being advertised on these error pages. I could only support such a concept if there was measures put in place to keep the ads on a non-profit level.

Can you imagine sites creating broken links just to advertise? People would think less about a broken link than they would a redirect link taking them to this page. Error pages maybe an untapped resource and can also be exploited. We should be trying to fix these errors not feel at home with them.
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,377

That'll be freaky, seeing some kid's face on 404 page. First instinct will tell regular internet users that it's a form of spam... and to professional IT people that it is a form of scam.
  10. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

Yea it'll be freaky, but this is actually a really good idea (as long as it doesnt turn into an add network) as long as it stays what it is meant to be - o there I go making assumptions again. ill just stop here

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Thats totally cool Idea...
  12. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Yeah, why not...

Gives a little more attention to them.
  13. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 638   +56

Interesting idea, but considering the actual number of 404 pages I see I guess I won't be of much help :(