Noticeable improvement?

Hi James,
The GTX 460 will be a 30-40% performance boost (FPS) in most games. assuming that you do not have any hardware restrictions limiting the capacity of the card. It will also show up in areas like AA/AF/ larger resolution, with the larger buffer. And DX11 obviously.

I have a quick question here. Are the 768MB models of the GT-460 worth bypassing and going straight to a 1GB GDDR5 model?

The 1GB memory models are 256 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 115 GB/ sec

The 768MB memory models are 192 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 90GB/ sec.

That reads like a big jump in performance. What happens in the real world......?

I have a quick question here. Are the 768MB models of the GT-460 worth bypassing and going straight to a 1GB GDDR5 model?

The 1GB memory models are 256 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 115 GB/ sec

The 768MB memory models are 192 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 90GB/ sec.

That reads like a big jump in performance. What happens in the real world......?

On the 460 there actually is a proportionate performance jump of 10-15%. I say 'actually' because the higher equipped model is not a marketing ploy in this case. They genuinely use the lowered memory access/GDDR size, to restrict performance. In some games for example, the 768MB and the 1GB surround the HD 5830.
I wonder how many folks picked up the 768MB model after seeing '1GB' used as a selling point for so long.

Back