Dec 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. JamesPromIII

JamesPromIII Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 157

bump Can anyone give me some feedback?
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

Hi James,
    The GTX 460 will be a 30-40% performance boost (FPS) in most games. assuming that you do not have any hardware restrictions limiting the capacity of the card. It will also show up in areas like AA/AF/ larger resolution, with the larger buffer. And DX11 obviously.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

I have a quick question here. Are the 768MB models of the GT-460 worth bypassing and going straight to a 1GB GDDR5 model?

The 1GB memory models are 256 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 115 GB/ sec

The 768MB memory models are 192 bit memory access, with a memory bandwidth of about 90GB/ sec.

That reads like a big jump in performance. What happens in the real world......?
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

On the 460 there actually is a proportionate performance jump of 10-15%. I say 'actually' because the higher equipped model is not a marketing ploy in this case. They genuinely use the lowered memory access/GDDR size, to restrict performance. In some games for example, the 768MB and the 1GB surround the HD 5830.
    I wonder how many folks picked up the 768MB model after seeing '1GB' used as a selling point for so long.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.