NPD: Nearly a third of all smartphone sales in the US are prepaid

By Shawn Knight
May 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. New data from market researcher NPD shows sales of prepaid smartphones are increasing at a rapid pace. Smartphone sales overall shot up 42 percent in the first quarter compared to the same time last year with 36 percent of the...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,705   +873

Wow.That is very impressive.
  3. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 202   +11

The thing is that the post-paid is way to expensive. I use Simple Mobile with my SGS3 unlocked AT&T phone.
    psycros likes this.
  4. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 487   +75

You can get decent 3G/4G prepaid phones these days. They usually use Sprint though, which means mediocre coverage. Still I think they're better value if you ask me.
    Mallok likes this.
  5. Mallok

Mallok Newcomer, in training Posts: 21   +7

With the amount of wireless available to me, it just doesn't make sense to pay for data. So as long as the voice, and to a much lesser extent messaging, works on Sprint I'm happy. I spent the last year or so researching wireless plans and found one that blows the rest away (but it is on Sprint). I'll probably be under 100MB 3G every month. I can't see the whole contract thing lasting much longer unless people don't bother to do a little research. Tmo is already lowering the entry point, but it's still too much for me.
  6. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Most prepaid phones are 3G or barely 4G with no LTE and too small. So thats not acceptable to me. Still on AT&T with my Note 2 and 4G LTE with 30mbs speeds unlimited data still and happy with it.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,807   +702

In my country (South Africa) 80% of phones are pre-paid.
  8. My family has been using prepaid phones for years (Virgin Mobil) and they work out quite well for us. Coverage has been very good, the rates are reasonable and of course no contract.
  9. tw0rld

tw0rld TechSpot Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Just switched over to tmobile's new unlimited everything plan paying $80 for 2 lines with no contract.
    psycros likes this.
  10. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

The US is slowly catching up with the rest of the world in this regard. Now we just need to see throttling done away with or better yet outlawed - it makes "unlimited" data anything but and amounts to false advertising.
  11. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Actually I think the percentage is higher then that. I sell both post and prepaid at work. TBH post has fallen off recently. Mainly I think because of data pooling. Ppl want unlimited. Now a days the only way to get unlimited is to go with prepaid. Or be grandfathered in on a unlimited data plan. Or go with Sprint.....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.