TechSpot

NPD: Nintendo has record-breaking month in December

By Matthew
Jan 14, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nintendo mopped the floor with Microsoft and Sony last month, selling 3.81 million Wii consoles and 3.31 million DS handhelds versus the competition's 1.31 million Xbox 360s, 1.36 million PS3s, 333,200 PS2s, and 654,700 PSPs.

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

Wow I had no idea that the Sims was still making bank. I never quite understood the attraction to that game, haha. Good for them though, I guess.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

I'm with treeski - who the hell are buying those Sims games? I'm as avid gamer as there is, work in the high-tech industry and have a ton of gaming friends. Yet I don't know of one single person who plays that damn game but it is always in the top-10 in sales. Weird...

At any rate, surprised at the Wii's rebound after the PS3 and XBox out-sold it late last year. I thought the novelty had worn off and it was going to permanently take it's place behind the other two "serious gaming" consoles. Oh well...props to them. Nintendo definitely has the golden touch.
  4. Eddie_42

Eddie_42 TS Rookie Posts: 213

Wii FTW. Bought mine opening day, never regretted it.
  5. Kevork

Kevork TS Rookie Posts: 92

Got one for Christmas, had a PS3 for the last 3 years, Each have there perks. Like them both.

Both consols cater too different crowds, in my case i trully gamelike interaction like uncharted 2, but at the same time fully enjoy an old school 2D mario brothers.
  6. matchu

matchu TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

i'm pretty surprised at the wii sales too, even as a nintendo fan. Oh well. That's cool =P
  7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

I think its outside the normal gamers :) - Out of all my gaming friends and I've been doing it for a decent amount of time (less then you most likely =P) only one plays/ed the Sims. But I have several non-gaming friends who love it most of whom are female. I think we all can agree that casual and family oriented content drive Wii and Sim like game sales.

And Matthew your PC sales list is 09 total not just December 09 (Link). Even with that said I would've guessed that L4D2 would make the total 2009 PC top ten of retail. Meh, digital probably does better for them anyway with Steam on PC's then retail.

PS: Wii fit is not a game imo, the industries terminology needs to change =P .
  8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

Corrected the article, thanks Relic.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.