NPD: Playstation 3 was best selling console in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Benefiting from a significant price drop last month and a hardware redesign, Sony's PlayStation 3 took the top spot in the U.S. gaming console sales rankings for the first time since it was launched in November 2006. According to the latest figures from NPD, the Blu-ray equipped device sold 491,800 units in September, compared with 462,800 for the Nintendo Wii and 352,600 for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

No one managed to topple the Nintendo DS, however, which boasts an impressive 524,000 units sold for the month. The entire industry as a whole enjoyed a 1 percent year-on-year growth to $1.28 billion, breaking six months of straight decline. Of that amount, software was up 5 percent to $649.32 million, while hardware was down 6 percent to $472.28 million and accessory sales were up 2 percent to $157.33 million.

Despite being relegated to third place in hardware sales, the Xbox 360 actually accounted for around 32 percent of the September revenues when combined with software and accessory sales. Its exclusive Halo 3: ODST title no doubt contributed to this by selling over 1.52 million copies between its release on the 22nd and the end of September -- more than three times its closest rival in little over a week.

Overall, it was a big month for console gaming. Microsoft also recently lowered the price of its 120GB Xbox 360 Elite model to $300, and Nintendo followed a month later with a $50 drop to $200, so it'll be interesting to see how they stack up against each other this coming holiday season. Feel free to speculate in the comments.

Permalink to story.

One thing is for sure... because of the PS3 Slim price tag reduction, I am definitely going to get a PS3 if my 360 ever RRODs on me. Which I'm sure it will. Even tho I have the falcon revision the falcon models are still prone to red rings. Even worse, I don't really touch my 360 at all. So a 3 yr warranty means nothing to me since the only way for defects to occur on the 360 is to expose it to prolong usage which i just don't do.

Even if I wanted one, I'm not sure I'd buy a console right now. We're at the 4 year old age mark for the Wii, PS3 and XBox. Considering past history, new generation of consoles come out once every 5 years. So probably late next year for the next set. That's what I'd save my pennies for. I'd hate to buy a console now and then in a year, it's been outdated.

It has been announced that the 360 consoles will have a 10 year life, so look to 2012 before anything new starts to be announced.

Ya Tom, Sony & Microsoft don't want to push anything out until at earliest 2012 if that and then I'm sure it'll be extremely expensive.

What I did find interesting is Jesse Divnichs comments to GameSpot: "In addition, the number of games purchased in conjunction with these hardware sales was lower than usual. This data suggests that most of the industry’s revenue for September was driven largely on the crutch of hardware price cuts. This is disappointing as it indicates that consumers are not being driven to purchase on key software titles--a significant driver for overall holiday performance. With this data now visible, it is most likely that October sales will be weaker than previously expected."

Curious how the holiday season will play out. Makes sense thou I mean even with lower prices people still have less to spend and/or cutting back still.

Kudos to Sony for taking the top spot. It would appear that demand has met a price point in which consumers are willing to part with their hard earned cash. As Relic points out, overall, the market is down indicating a lower demand for titles, and other items which represent continued sames vs. new sales. On the whole, I'd attribute this to a lack of 'A' titles which drive consumers to the stores. There's plenty selection in the 'B' title market, which is usually sold at a discount.

Its interesting to note that despite taking the top system sold, the PS3 doesn't have any exclusive titles in the top 10 position for software sales.

I bought a PS3 at Walmart last month after the price drop, then returned it a week later. It just didn't have anything to offer that my high-end PC or Xbox 360 doesn't already give me.

There are so many "A" titles out right now or coming out very soon. It's just that there are more Wii's and 360's so they will have more software sales to make up the top 10

It's silly to compare a PS3 or a 360 to a high end PC system.

PS3 sold more in it's first year than the 360 and now this is going to help it catch up, probably not pass it but make it close, It's sold almost a 1 million more than the 360 since the price drop. Don't forget the 360 had a price drop a week later, what did that do?

" It just didn't have anything to offer that my high-end PC or Xbox 360 doesn't already give me"

Where did you find a 360 with an internet browser and bluray player, I am curious

Its not that I prefer my 360 over a PS3, its that I'm done with gaming and honestly wish I didn't buy either in the first place.

Traded my 360 for a PS3 and never looked back. Sure I'm missing out on some good exclusives but all my friends have PS3s.....and it has Gran Turismo :)

" It just didn't have anything to offer that my high-end PC or Xbox 360 doesn't already give me"

What does your 360 offer that your high end PC does not? Most 360 exclusives end up on the PC whereas no PS3 exclusives do. Seems PC + PS3 gives you the biggest selection of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back