NSA's XKeyscore database tracks everything you've ever done online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nsa xkeyscore facebook nsa xkeyscore

Edward Snowden, the man responsible for leaking the controversial PRISM surveillance program, has come forward once again with evidence of another top-secret program. Known as XKeyscore, this new program is essentially a giant database of virtually everything you’d ever done on the Internet.

The Guardian once again broke the story. Snowden, who’s currently holed up in the transit area of Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport while he awaits news back on a request for asylum, provided training material as evidence of the program’s existence. XKeyscore is described in the training manual as the widest reaching system for gathering intelligence from the Internet.

According to the publication, XKeyscore allows analysts with access to search through a database of your information without any prior authorization. That means no warrants and no court clearance. To perform a query, an analyst simply needs to fill out an onscreen form. Once that is complete, they have access to browsing history, searches, the content of your e-mail, online chats and even metadata.

The NSA claims the program is only used to legally obtain information about foreign targets that is requested by leaders with the intent to protect the nation and its interests. Furthermore, the NSA said there are multiple technical, manual and supervisory checks and balances within the system to prevent deliberate misuse from occurring – a statement that clearly contradicts Snowden’s claim.

Given the fallout that took place after the PRISM leak, it’ll be interesting to see how the American public responds to this latest bombshell and what other information Snowden may have up his sleeve.

Permalink to story.

Hi Josh, Employee 53-548-987-A-F from NSA!

Pleased to meet you, I hope you like my web history!

Yours truly,

Salassin

Given the fallout that took place after the PRISM leak, it?ll be interesting to see how the American public responds to this latest bombshell and what other information Snowden may have up his sleeve.

We know the American public will react... they'll freak out for a few days until the next scandal hits or another celebrity has a wardrobe malfunction. A few months from now if you ask someone what PRISM is they'll think it's for making rainbows.

To test this, ask someone today what country Benghazi is in. That was the scandal we forgot about when the IRS scandal hit, and the IRS scandal was the one we forgot about when the PRISM scandal hit. I really doubt PRISM news is going to hang around until next Nov when we can make some politicians sweat over their involvement.

I think this whole surveillance program is too large in scale for any average citizen to comprehend so they dismiss it just like the topic of the cosmos. It doesn't matter if it is just used to monitor terrorist activity its just morally wrong.

Tracking and recording every keystroke of every computer in the world sounds unrealistic to me.

Nothing will happen, you americans as usual won't move a finger, your right to bear arms in case the government becomes abusive is meaningless

So shut up and get used to it, everything you do on the internet will be spied now and forever and there's NOTHING you can do about it, have a nice day

Tracking and recording every keystroke of every computer in the world sounds unrealistic to me.
you dont have trillions of dollars at your disposal. Also it doesnt record keystrokes per say-the article says searches, emails, etc

I remember my comments about 2 years ago when I said Uncle Sam is watching everything you do and I got all these comments from sheep Americans/users about how I was being a paranoid extremist and that would never happen.
Well looks like those people were as blind as stupid as I thought they where. People, form your own opinions and increase your ability to use critical thinking.
And to those who are still in denial, I say this.
How to do like them apples?

I remember my comments about 2 years ago when I said Uncle Sam is watching everything you do and I got all these comments from sheep Americans/users about how I was being a paranoid extremist and that would never happen.
Well looks like those people were as blind as stupid as I thought they where. People, form your own opinions and increase your ability to use critical thinking.
Not everyone thinks like you... the world would be nothing without opinions.

So you warned against this, but now are happy it's come to fruition because you get to publicly be right about it?

I'll take my apples in the irony pie you're baking. :)

The NSA claims the program is only used to legally obtain information about foreign targets that is requested by leaders with the intent to protect the nation and its interests. Furthermore, the NSA said there are multiple technical, manual and supervisory checks and balances within the system to prevent deliberate misuse from occurring ? a statement that clearly contradicts Snowden?s claim.

Bullshit... .America's new weapon is counterintelligence.

Too bad congress is full of yuppie *******s that wholeheartedly agree with these programs, its too bad because you know they will never use the data collected to oust douchebag politicians and lobbyists, but instead will use it on us.

I hate the ****ing NSA and the 200000 other companies, organization, unions, congregations and institutions that do the same as them or support them in their endeavors. It's absolutely terrible. I wish there was someone in charge that would rectify all this and make sure it all goes away and doesn't come back, under penalty of death to those who'd wish for it to come back.

Assmerica :/

I really dont know exactly how ppl can be surprised at this "revelation". Its been common knowledge that everything you do is logged somewhere. If its logged, it can be viewed. The internet is a great tool, but its world wide, with many many controls in place. Given it was the US that gave the world the internet, how can ANYONE be surprised by this. I was discussing this very same topic with friends of mine. The only person who had an emotion on the subject was the person who pirates. Everyone on e else was unfazed by the news. Its just a given that someone can spy on you in someway online. I bring this point up only to show that the average citizen has nothing to worry about. Ok, so someone read your email wishing your mom a happy birthday, whoopee. Ok, so someone knows what sites you visit, whoohoo. Anymore we are so used to being watched that when someone tells us we are being watched we think they are the crazy ones.That they are the ones who have thier heads in the sand. Its not that we as Americans are either lazy or uncaring. Its just that we realize that is the cost of using the internet. One would have to have a head full of bricks not to assume that something as potentially dangerous as the internet WOULDNT have some form of govt regulation. Its nice to think that the internet is a "free zone". But reality is harsh. The truth hurts, and there is nothing we can do about it. If we protest too loudly we risk syria type incidents such as our internet being turned off. And if you think that the govt CANT do that then you need to check your ears for sand.....

If we protest too loudly we risk syria type incidents such as our internet being turned off. And if you think that the govt CANT do that then you need to check your ears for sand.....

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its government.

Someone famous said that once... I think :p

The thing is this was unheard of 13 years ago. If the government viewed all are mail 13 years ago people would have went nuts. I don't like the snowball effect argument but what else will we be tolerating in 13 years down the road? I really do not care if they monitor me personally. But they are stomping on our rights. The government is way to obsessed with what everyone is doing, would you be creeped out if someone was standing across the street staring at you night and day with binoculars? I would, he can say I am looking for terrorists, if your not a terrorist don't worry. And that would be the same thing.

It's just like... geeze government you exist to serve the people, leave us alone.... your scaring us

If we protest too loudly we risk syria type incidents such as our internet being turned off.

You honestly think it's better to protest quietly? If you protest loud enough that the government shuts off the internet:

A. you've just proven that your government is indeed a repressive government who wants control of everything

B. the government is actually hearing your voice and not just scoffing at you and thinking "this will pass in about a week." If you're not being loud enough to scare the government, then your protest is pretty much guaranteed to fail. Play it safe and they'll just laugh at you.

I was discussing this very same topic with friends of mine. The only person who had an emotion on the subject was the person who pirates. Everyone on e else was unfazed by the news.
I disagree completely.
I've talked about this topic with 100+ people 1 on 1 over the last few years (I work at a Hospital) and almost half are very upset about what they have been hearing. Most who are unfazed by the news don't think its actually as serious as what is reported.
No, its much worse.

Oh please.

It took years to hunt down Bin Laden with all our "technology". I very much doubt they can locate a boomer in San Francisco Bay.

No flying cars, no secret moon base and no Mars landing. Believe in super accurate Internet surveillance ? Ha ha ha not likely.

Back