NT Authority PC shutdown on SP2 fully updated system

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

Apparently what happens is that after getting internet up and running, this system screen goes black and nothing is visibile with the exception of AIM.
There is access to the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu but that's about it. Nothing else is acceptable.

Then, all of a sudden, NT AUTHORITY wants to shut down the PC.

I happened to update this Windows XP Pro (SP2) completely from my router before it went back to a routerless connection(no built in firewall).

This has happened to this computer before, and it's quite annoying, we're trying to figure it out. We tried applying the patch for the NT Authority bug but apparently windows doesnt want it since it has more up to date updates.

Ideas?

More than likely you have a virus probably one from AIM. there is an aimFix utility that removes AIM viruses. you can find it at majorgeeks.com.

if you can acess the task manager then disable AIM from running and any other suspicious or unecessary processes from running.

or try booting in safe mode.

that's a virus.

i think it's the one that pops up and give u like 30 seconds to shut down.

go to www.nod32.com and download the 30 days full working trial or buy the program, if you're the type that buys software.

it's the best antivirus. update it and run it

It seemed to be a certain program installed by SBC DSL client side software. It was in the SBC folder, and it was called IpMon32.exe.

I disabled everything, booted up, started enabling things until I narrowed it down to the culprit.

Strange, because the Windows installed on the system already had SP2.

IpMon32.exe is installed alongside Verizon DSL accounts. IP Insight is a Quality of Service monitor and diagnostic tool. It is known to consume large amounts of resources. It can be safely disabled.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back