TechSpot

NTFS conversion

By walleys
May 23, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently upgraded a system from WinME (no snickering!) to XP. In the upgrade (from XP Pro Full version CD) my drive formatting was maintained as FAT32. I understand this, if I had done a fresh install NTFS would have been an option, but I wanted to hang on to my old ME system files until I was sure the upgrade was going to work. Now that I've decided to keep XP on this system is there a way to convert to NTFS without starting over and reformatting this drive?
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Hi there walleys,

Here's a thread on the subject on the old forums -> Changing my FAT32 drive in XP

Have a nice read & a nice stay on the forums.:)
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

open command prompt

convert c: /FS:NTFS

(where c: is the drive to be converted)

will do the trick!

Best of luck from the Sith!
  4. walleys

walleys Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

Great! Thanks for the help. It worked perfectly. Now my C: drive is NTFS. New question: My D: partition is still FAT32 and I can't seem to get the command prompt to convert it to NTFS as well without an error or bad command message. Any ideas?
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Type in

chkdsk D:

This will check and repair your disk for errors.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.