NTFS corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggi

Dear Friends and Forum Mates, I am using a Lenovo 3000H desktop for the past 15 months. It has a Penitum D processor and 160 GB hdd, running OEM win Xp sp2. C: is 25 Gb and Fat32...E:,F: being 50 GB each and NTFS. G: is 35 Gb and had NTFS when this problem first occured.

As G: started nearing its maximum capacity the files became corrupted. The jpeg images had no thumbnail views and could not be viewed, there was no preview. Mp3 files did not open, WINamp showed these Mp3's as having length as 0:00. So what i did was to salvage what was left and formatted the partition into fat32.

This time around F: was nearing full capacity when the same happened...jpeg corrution mp3 loss and .avi corruption. Since fat32 can only be applied to partitions lesser than 35 GB I am flummoxed as to what should be done.

I scanned the hdd at startup and there was some recovery of files but not all were restored. Before i did this scan i opened the F: partition to find it blank...not even a single file was there but after the scan all the folders came back.

Anyone having any ideas please pass it on, I'd be grateful friends.

Test your HDD with one of the utilities here.

Regardless of what you discover with the utility you've chosen, I would back your data up on another storage device, be it DVD's or another HDD.

Then, if your drive doesn't appear to be failing, just boot off your OS disk and delete all the partitions, create a new partition and start a fresh install of Windows there. If you suspect that your drive may me failing, replace it.

Notice that your issues started to occur 'as the filesystem started to become full'.
This is known as a boundary condition, eg absolutely empty vs completely full.

As NTFS is a journaling system, there are hidden 'intermediaries' which come and go
with changes to files. If you go from 'almost full', change a file and save it back,
there is a possibility of running smack into 'completely full' :(
As we say in the business, results are indeterminate!

rule of thumb: keep at least 10% of your HD free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back