ntfs.sys Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

niox

I have the same Problem I guess as Hed had, I have a 120 GIG hardrive that is not working because of the ntfs.sys Blue screen, I cant load Win XP Cd or anything like that either.

My Major Problem is that if I do get access to the hardrive with your help I cant delete the files on that drive, they are 5 years of work, all my passwords, assignments Projects working on concurrently, and basically my life achievements.

I had 2 partitions on that drive 70/50 70 Being my OS system and the 50 being where I store all my Important Data and Files.

I bought a New 80 GIG hardrive just to be able to use my PC for the next few days till I find a way back into my old Drive. I read the Forum on the Solution to Heds Problem

I dont know how I can use Win 2000 Boot Disks or Setup disks when I only have a Win XP CD.

I didnt understand what he meant by the win 2000 disk procedure or where he got it from can someone explain it to me in detail like you would to a computer noob thank you.

Thank you for your help

I did read them I just was afraid of doing something that would make me lose my files and I wanted to be 100% sure before I do something like that.

I tried the RC console before and I did the Chkdsk but it didnt work. I also turned on my Bios Virus check and it told me I had a virus so I cleaned that up as well. but I am afraid of changing my ntfs.sys file to ntfs.old and then fail trying to add the new one from WIN XP cd. that is all.

Then extract that file on someone else's computer and copy it onto a floppy.
Be bold, go where no-one has gone before!!

If you are running XP and have an XP CD, or 2000 and have a 2000 CD, then you may be able to get your system up and running again.

Now, what I would be worried about is WHY you get the ntfs.sys error. Things that might make this file corrupted include bad memory or even a bad hard disk... The latter of which I'm sure we'd rather not have.

And sometimes Windows just screws up... It happens. Hopefully this is the problem.

Follow these instructions:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356

You should be able to recover your Windows system and your computer will be bootable again. YOU WILL NOT LOSE YOUR FILES as long as you do NOT select the format option. Even if you totally reinstall Windows into another directory and mess up the directions (although there are pictures to make it easy), your data such as pictures, music, documents etc... will still be on the drive.

Just follow the instructions and if you have questions, please ask!

Thank you

You have been of great help Rick, I will try your solution hopefully tommorrow, and I will get back to you with the results. :)

Hey Rick well I tried your way and it didnt work because the second I press, R, or Install windows I get the blue screen. do you know any other ways of doing it

That's certainly not good news, then. This is more than a Windows problem. Perhaps a bad disk, bad drive cable, bad memory or corrupted partition.

You may have better luck reading your files in Windows. Since you have another 80GB, maybe you can install Windows XP onto your 80GB and hook up your 120GB as a "slave" drive.

Forgive me if I over simplify this for you, but I don't know knowledge level is with computers so I will assume basic as possible.

Each drive will have a jumper or two on the back (where the cables plug in). There should be a little 2 rows of 4 or 5 pins with little plastic things on them. These are jummpers. Depending on where these little plastic thigns are, your drive will be set to master and slave.

The goal is connect both drives together on a single cable and install Windows XP on your 80GB in hopes you can access your drive.

You'll need to make your 80GB master and your 120GB a slave. You may want to put your 80GB in by itself and replace the 120GB all together when you start. This should work without changing any settings.

Boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts to install Windows XP. It will be very simliar to the system repair your tried, but instead of giving you the option to repair a previous installation of Windows, you will be given the option to install Windows.

Once you begin the Windows XP installation, it should be pretty self explanitory.

My apologies if this is confusing but I'm in a hurry to get to work! ;)

Once you get XP installed, attempt to install your 120GB as a slave drive. You will need to set the jumpers on the back of this drive to slave mode for it to work on the same cable. Jumper settings are usually printed on the label on the drive. If you have trouble setting this up, just let us know what the model is (western digital, seagate etc..) and I am probably famliar with the jumper settings.

I will work on that tommorrow and tell you what happens, do you think if I make a boot disk it will it help?

I am not a computer noob really, I am actually studying IT, it is the first problem I ever had that I wasnt able to fix and I am sure you know how frustrated you get when that happens. I think it is that I had to buy a SATA Controller and I went for the one without RAID to save 30 bucks Canadian. :rolleyes: but I will do that and tell you what happens

Surely if you keep your data on a seperate partion, only deleting the data partition or complete hard drive failiure will loose that data?

Formatting the XP partion SHOULD only delete data on the XP partition? Works for me anyways.

Perhaps I've read this thread incorrectly

Wait a second.. You are using SATA? I thought perhaps you were using IDE.

I've seen this problem before with SATA and XP. I have never found a solid solution on how to load a drive in NTFS that blue screens "ntfs.sys" with SATA.

Originally posted by Spike
Surely if you keep your data on a seperate partion, only deleting the data partition or complete hard drive failiure will loose that data?

Formatting the XP partion SHOULD only delete data on the XP partition? Works for me anyways.

Perhaps I've read this thread incorrectly
If it were possible to load the partitions, then perhaps this would be a method.

The problem is everytime NTFS is loaded and the drive is accessed, it returns with the ntfs.sys blue screen.

Forget everything I said about jumpers if you are using SATA. SATA is jumperless.

IS there a way that I can access the Drive from MS DOS since I havent used Win 3.11 or Win 95 in a longtime my memory about dos is a little screwy.

I have created a boot disk I will test it out tonight and tell you what happens tommorrow, thanks for your time Rick.

There is a freeware NTFS reader you are welcome to try.

It will not write information to an NTFS partition, but will read from it and you can copy your files to a FAT32 formatted partition.

It's called NTFS Pro and you can get it here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml

I've never had the chance to try it, but maybe you'll have better luck with it. :) I know I have had some instances where partitions were unreadable in Windows XP, but DOS could read them using this driver.

Did you ever manage to get another installation of Windows XP installed? I'm curious because if Windows XP does not install, it may be a problem with your memory or something OTHER than your hard disk.

Also, it might be worth a shot to use an updated SATA driver for your SATA chipset.

Hey Rick, I was looking at link you sent earlier and that software is pretty pricey, do you know of any alternatives to it?

Thank you,

I am only a Student and money is an issue ;)

Oh no no.. NTFS Pro has a freeware version that you do not have to pay for. But it is limited to only READING NTFS partitions. You cannot write to them.

Look for the freeware version.. It is on their site.

please please someone help:*(
i've just installed a new 120GB ide hard disk (my birfday pressy 2:*( )and during partitioning it the comp re-booted and popped up the same blue screen:(
(ntfs.sys..blah..blah..blah...)
ive tried everything i know to get it going including formatting my old disk and re-installing winxp,plugging disk into 3 different computers to check results.

so far xp just blue screens if the disk is connected! (this includes standard boot,safemode,xp re-installation and repair screens).

ive replaced ntfs.sys on the old disk and tried using the mbr command while using my old disk but xp cannot even get a sniff of the new drive without crashing to the bsod!!

how can i repair this disk if it wont let me connect to it?

win 98 showed the ntfs partitions as an extended dos partition but when i tried deleting it, it said there are no extended partitions to delete?

ive got 1 good hard disk,a cd-rom, a win98cd, an xp home cd,no floppy drive and a 120GB screw up with a shed load of important data on it,,,,any suggestions??? pleeeeaaasseee:*:)confused:

Well Oki

I had the same problem and I havent been able to find a solution either, not from this forum or from any other forum for that matter. Although this forum is the best I visited so far no other forum even had a clue of what to do.

I kind of put my hardrive aside for the moment and dont use it anymore. since it has a warranty on it I guess you can most probably take it back to the vendor and ask for a replacement or something.

ntfs98ro

Ok i had the bsod, couldnt even launch win2k cd. The problem was the corrupt ntfs filesystem on the system disc. The win2k cd crashed probably because of a scan of the ntfs partition.

Anyway i tried:

> ntfsfix (knoppix), got an error (volume corrupt)
> ntfsdos and then scandisc, got error (in use by other process)
> win2k recovery console, got blue screen
> install win2k over old win2k, got blue screen

@#$#@!

O K, after a lot of searching i found: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml
(a full-blown NTFS file system driver for Windows 95/98 ). It requires a windows 9x installation.
Some files from the ntfs partition must be copied to the installation folder.
(you can do this with knoppix or ntfsdos). After installing this in win9x, you reboot the computer into dos and run ntfschk, which is located in the installation folder
(e.g. c:\progra~1\winter~1\)

And it worked - for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back