NTLDR missing/ctrl alt delete to start; chick needs help;please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickalene

HP cmputer, Windows xp. I know a few things. There are no discs in the disc drives. I do not have a windows xp cd (it came preinstalled on my computer) otherwise i think if i just reloaded windows it would solve my problem. I can do a destructive recovery but i desparately do not want to do that. I can buy a partial recovery from hp but i am lacking in the cash department. Is there anyway to get my computer back. If i can get someone elses windows xp disc could i boot from that? Please help

hi,
i'm not sure what you mean by partial recovery. do you mean service packs (1 or 2)? if you use someone else's disk, is it hp also? in any case, the pre-loaded pc's such as dell, hp, ibm, etc... have a hardware lock on their o.e.m. (original equipment manufacturer) disk that is tied to the cpu and serial number. the best way to get around this is to buy an o.e.m. cd that is meant for new pc's without hardware lock. you may check http://software outlet.com and make sure the cd that you purchase has this on the titlt:
windows xp sp2 with cd key and c.o.a. (certificate of authenticity). it should solve your problem. the ct is about $79.00. if not, post back, and i can see what you can do to fix it.

If yu can borrow an XP cd from a friend then you should be able to repair windows at least to the point that you can copy off your files that you want to save beofre doing a recovery format.

Put the XP disk in your CD\DVD drive and boot from it

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Need more help. My friend only had windows xp professional i have home edition pre installed on my computer. Will this mess anything up if i try and boot from professional instead? also i have a windows xp upgrade cd i tried to boot from. It brings me to a recovery console asks me which installation i would like to log onto
H:\MiniNT
H:\I386
c:\windows
so i typed in the third choice (c:) and it asks me for a password. what is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back