NTT Docomo battery claims 10 minute charge time

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Japanese mobile provider NTT Docomo has created a prototype battery that can fully recharge in 10 minutes. NTT displayed the new battery and charger at CEATEC in Tokyo and Engadget was there to report all of the details.

The current prototype on hand was an external lithium-ion battery sleeve that attaches to the back of a phone. The unit was only functional with NEC’s Medias Android smartphone, a Japanese exclusive. Despite the restrictions, the promise of a 10 minute battery recharge has us intrigued.

NTT is able to accomplish such a feat by pumping a lot more juice through the charger into the battery at once. The demonstration showed an amp meter connected to a standard charger as well as one connected to the prototype device. The standard AC adapter pushed .55 amps while the pre-production model boasted 5.86 amps. That’s more than 10.5 times the power being pushed to the battery.

The tech blog says that the model being shown is likely an early prototype and could use some refinements in terms of aesthetics. Additionally NTT had no idea when the unit could move into production and find its way into consumer’s hands, other than saying it would be available “as soon as possible.”

Last month we reported on a jelly-based lithium battery developed by Leeds researchers that could make batteries of the future safer, cheaper, smaller and more powerful. The technology could lead to thinner and lighter notebook computers and more efficient batteries for electric cars and even smartphones.

Permalink to story.

I hope this new tech has better life expectancy. I prefer better life expectancy than quicker charge time.

WTB a ZPM :D

Not sure if this is the same tech, but it's taking a long time to mature. Mind you, it took LCD a much longer time.

"Several companies are researching and developing these technologies. In March 2005, Toshiba announced[1] that they had a new Lithium-Ion battery with a nanostructured lattice at the cathode and anode that allowed the battery to recharge a surprising eighty times faster than previously. Prototype models were able to charge to eighty percent capacity in one minute, and were one hundred percent recharged after 10 minutes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanobatteries

Are there any safety issues with this faster charge time? How good is it for the battery? What are the long term effects on the battery due to faster charge times at such a high amplitude? I need more info before I can be amazed...

What kind of connector did they hook it up with O.O. Whatever little contacts they have running into batteries surly isn't enough to take that amperage safely...?
How big of a wall power supply do they need?

I owned a 15 min AA battery charger, it broke all the batteries that it charged within a few months. Wonder if this is the same

I seriously doubt whether there is a wall outlet on this planet that can push anywhere near the stated 5.86 amps. This manner of charging also raises questions on the longevity of the battery.

slh28 said:
I owned a 15 min AA battery charger, it broke all the batteries that it charged within a few months. Wonder if this is the same
That's because you're charging low quality (probably) nimh that were not at all designed for over 7 amperes, and that charger is really picky about batteries too.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
I seriously doubt whether there is a wall outlet on this planet that can push anywhere near the stated 5.86 amps. This manner of charging also raises questions on the longevity of the battery.

Your basic outlet can handle 15 amps, and most kitchens and new homes are 20. It will be weird to think....Unplug the phone while you use the toaster.

milwaukeemike said:
fpsgamerJR62 said:

Your basic outlet can handle 15 amps, and most kitchens and new homes are 20. It will be weird to think....Unplug the phone while you use the toaster.
Well with increasing battery life and decreasing charge time, you'd think people would not have their phones plugged in and charging all the time, and certainly that problem would be taken care of by not having the phone on the same circuit as the kitchen. :eek:

It's nothing new, you can wire two chargers together, whatever. Same with those quick charge stations at the airport.

It just throws all this amperage at the battery, killing it over time.

Why don't we just keep working on longer lasting batteries.

Most batteries for mobile phones put out Milli amps..... So charge in 10 minutes wouldn't draw all that much..

Back