TechSpot

NTT Docomo battery claims 10 minute charge time

By Shawn Knight
Oct 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Japanese mobile provider NTT Docomo has created a prototype battery that can fully recharge in 10 minutes. NTT displayed the new battery and charger at CEATEC in Tokyo and Engadget…

Read the whole story

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

I hope this new tech has better life expectancy. I prefer better life expectancy than quicker charge time.

3. WTB a ZPM :D

Not sure if this is the same tech, but it's taking a long time to mature. Mind you, it took LCD a much longer time.

"Several companies are researching and developing these technologies. In March 2005, Toshiba announced[1] that they had a new Lithium-Ion battery with a nanostructured lattice at the cathode and anode that allowed the battery to recharge a surprising eighty times faster than previously. Prototype models were able to charge to eighty percent capacity in one minute, and were one hundred percent recharged after 10 minutes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanobatteries

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

Are there any safety issues with this faster charge time? How good is it for the battery? What are the long term effects on the battery due to faster charge times at such a high amplitude? I need more info before I can be amazed...

5. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

how much more are products that have this going to cost?

6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

"Hey, is it cool if I charge my phone real quick?"
    "Sure...."
    <Lights dim.>

7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

What kind of connector did they hook it up with O.O. Whatever little contacts they have running into batteries surly isn't enough to take that amperage safely...?
    How big of a wall power supply do they need?

8. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

I owned a 15 min AA battery charger, it broke all the batteries that it charged within a few months. Wonder if this is the same

9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I seriously doubt whether there is a wall outlet on this planet that can push anywhere near the stated 5.86 amps. This manner of charging also raises questions on the longevity of the battery.

10. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

That's because you're charging low quality (probably) nimh that were not at all designed for over 7 amperes, and that charger is really picky about batteries too.

11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

Your basic outlet can handle 15 amps, and most kitchens and new homes are 20. It will be weird to think....Unplug the phone while you use the toaster.

12. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

ha, i see what you did there, watching SG-U as we speak.

13. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Well with increasing battery life and decreasing charge time, you'd think people would not have their phones plugged in and charging all the time, and certainly that problem would be taken care of by not having the phone on the same circuit as the kitchen. :eek:

14. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 274

It's nothing new, you can wire two chargers together, whatever. Same with those quick charge stations at the airport.

It just throws all this amperage at the battery, killing it over time.

Why don't we just keep working on longer lasting batteries.

15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

I was hoping that is what they did.
    Has there been any news on the life expectancy yet?

16. Most batteries for mobile phones put out Milli amps..... So charge in 10 minutes wouldn't draw all that much..