Nv4_disp has stopped responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

Ok, after a power supply failure I had recently, something stupid has been happening. In CS:S, certain maps (De_dust, cs_italy, de_inferno, etc.) have been, as soon as they load, my computer changes resolutions to a very low one, and shows the error saying that nv4_disp has stopped responding.

I then went and played NFS: MW for a little while, and as soon as I start a specific race near the start of the game, that happens.

It did this on the old hard drive, and I just formatted a new one and put XP on it, and it does the same darn thing. Any ideas? I have tried updating GPU drivers, and installing DX9.0c.

Heres some links you may find useful.

nv4_disp info.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=9

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/94-nv4_disp-dll-error.html

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?nv4_disp

It's says that it is caused by not completely uninstalling your old drivers before updating to the new ones. I also learned that you should probably reinstall DirectX 9.0c. So completely uninstall your Video drivers and DirectX and then reinstall them.

Direct3D Error Info
I also just got done reading some other things about the Direct3D error and nearly everyone was able to fix it buy completely cleaning their PC of old Graphics drivers and DirectX and then reinstalling them. They did it by using software like Driver Cleaner Pro.

Thanks, but for god sakes, it did it after a complete format. I will try re-installing the drivers again, this time using driver cleaner pro.

Ok,,,

Heres a screenshot of my issue. I doubt its game specific, so here. It waS 16 bit, but I had to make it monochrome to get it as an attachment.

Attachments

• error.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 9
I wonder if your graphics card was damaged when the power supply went bad.

I was wondering that, too, and even voiced my concerns to wolvman over the phone. If thats the case, that, simply put, just sucks. I have no way to get another card that would even equal the 6200. My Info Tech teacher, today, said that it could have been an elecrostatic discharge, aka static, so I may just be screwed. I will do some more research now, and try to find a solution, and try to find a new AGP card, even though I know its practically a waste of time/money....

Thanks mailpup.

Update:
It's Still doing it, and I've tried everything. How can the GPU have been damaged when it went out, though?

I've noticed it doen't do it with a lot of games (far cry for example).

Oh, and Spore does it every now and then when I go to either a) place a certain part on a certain part of the body or b) when I'm looking at another creature and he starts to do an animation...

Any ideas on a fix?

There is a new Nvidia graphics driver as of September 25, 2008. Have you tried that?

I suppose any current surge or spike associated with a PSU going out could have damage the GPU. I'm not saying it did for sure but it could, that's all.

Mopar man, earlier you mentioned that you, "have no way to get another card that would even equal the 6200." Although I'm sure you could get a better AGP card, Newegg still has the 6200 for sale. Click here.

Guess what? No need to get a new card: The drivers worked!

Now, nothing that caused the error causes it anymore. Only downside: All games seem to run the same, but not at all better, sometimes worse, but I don't care, as long as they are playable (and they are).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back