Nvidia 6800GT Temps High?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherga

I've got my 6800GT running at 425/1140 stable. I've recently started monitoring its core temps during BF2 gameplay at full graphics. While the card is running smooth as i could want it to, Its running 70-78C in game and 59-60 idle. Weird thing is, I've actually added aftermarket cooling/heatsink to it. I installed an NV5 silencer fan assembly onto the card and used artic silver compound. Is this normal temps for this type of OC or should i be worried? Thanks,

-e

First i would drop the OC to see if the temps lower. But they are not extremely high. Remeber Gfx cards have a much higer threshhold then CPUs. But it is right in the edge of the spectrum. I would also considering reapplying the thermal paste.

Sean

dropping the OC makes a minimal difference, perhaps 4-5C. But the performance is so much better with the OC i'm willing to run it a little warm as long as it can handle it. I thought i applied the paste well when i put the fan assembly on, but i suppose it couldnt hurt to do it again! Thanks for the reply

Hmm vegasgmc you must have a real good card cuz i have the 6800 gt overclocked and my temps are more in line with what etherga has. Getting cooler cards is a luck of the draw thats why some overclock better than others of the same kind.
I have the nv5 with artic silver 5 on there but the temps are still pretty high but i have done research on it and found out that those temps are normal for 6800 GT with almost all goin up to 78+ when playing games.

I totally lucked out with this card.
In the temp section of the driver control panel my core shutdown is set at 120*c. That seems insanely high. I couldnt find a way to lower it. Has to be a bug.

Have you tried a bios flash

This is my first post and maybe a little to late for a reply but ah well here goes this will also help those of you with stock coolers aswell as those of you with arctic silencers basically all the Nvidia cards ive had in the bios have had fanspeed det to 45percent!? conterproductive and strange i know only good this does is keep noise level down if you rip the bios file from your card and open it up with NiBiTor you can change the fan speed to 100 percent then reflash them and you will see a noticable drop in your temps my old 6800le (12pipes 6vertex) for instance was on 69c full load oced to 400core 800mem with and arctic silencer and arctic silver 5 and after doing this i get a nice cool 54, 57 on tops on the odd occasion hope this helps. I was on the search for a windows based bios flasher when i came across this thread as ive just got a 6800GT with the same cooling and it runs at 70 and up under load but i cant flash it with winfox anymore i gather because its not a leadtek!

oh and the nvidia control panel overheat setting does indeed seem high but its not a glitch.

This may not be the exact same problem, but I've got a Zalman VF700-Cu on my X800XT. And it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference to the temps (from 77 down to 72). I don't think there is a fan speed setting on this cooler, since it plugs straight into the PSU, and not to the graphics card itself.

Why is the difference so low? I'll probably reinstall it just to see if it'll make a difference.

Fixed the problem. My Audigy 2 Platinum is placed too close to the graphics card (2nd PCI slot). Not much air to breathe I suppose. Now the temps are around 60C, very happy with it. Didn't have to reinstall the HSF.

That probably wouldn't be a problem with the Arctic silencer since it removes the hot air automatically.

vegasgmc said:
I totally lucked out with this card.
In the temp section of the driver control panel my core shutdown is set at 120*c. That seems insanely high. I couldnt find a way to lower it. Has to be a bug.
Mines is Bfg 6800 gt OC
Thermal slow down is 120°c
60°c idle 70°c underload
Bfg tech told me this is normal ranges, that if I put a liquid block on it,
it would start throughing artifacts at around 45°c to 50°c and void my
lifetime warranty.

I'd like to know myself if this is fact or techsupport Fibbing.
It has kept me from tweaking it at all.

This is a very interesting conversation
It appears the core slow temp can be adjusted.

I just got coolbits and used detect optimal frequencies,
that gave me 410/1.08, was 370/1.0,
my temps are staying at 43°c ambient, 61°c idle & 70°c load, stock cooling,
pretty much what it was at default settings.
A definite boost in performance!
Thanks guys

Hello, I don't really want to start a new thread but I have a problem with heat on Bf2. I have 1gb of DDR400 and an Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at 2.2Ghz stable also I have a VIO 550-watt psu rated at 26amps on the 12-volt. I should be able to play Bf2 just fine BUT! everytime I play it lags a bit on med settings 800 x 600. Also My 6600gt agp at stock speeds (500 core 900mem) it idles at 41 c and when I was playing Bf2 for about 20 min the game froze and brought me back to my desktop. I looked at my CPU temp and it was at 39 c (not bad) and then I looked at my gpu temp... 95C!!!!!! I was like WTF?!?!?! So I turned off my comp and felt the northbridge it was a little warm (not bad) and I touched the top of my 6600gt and it was HOT!!!! The fan is working and during any other game it never goes over 58 c. I have all updates and patches. Newest Driver from Nvidia. I am thinking about water cooling... but I would like another opinion. Thank you.

Can you tell if the GPU fan is reaching proper or full RPM? It may be spinning but you can't always tell just by looking at it if it is working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back