Nvidia 9800GT Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Heres the deal.

I brought a custom made PC around 5 months back. Its a gaming PC so as you guessed im a pretty competant gamer :)

The porblem i have had for quiet a while now is within an hour of playing a first perosn shooting game or any intensive game, all of the screen will suddenly change colour (it turns multicoloured) and the sound starts repeating.

After this has happened the PC wil not respond to any commands. I have tried to check the tempretures but i cant as the PC wont respond.

When this happens I always have to restart the PC at the button (whihc i hate doing).
This is really annoying for online mp games since i suddenly disconnect at the wrong times.

I dont believe it is a fan issue because , well to be honest my computer keeps me cool i have so many fans.

Hope you can help...

System Specs:
ASUS P5QL PRO Motherboard (intel P43 Express Chipset)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz
nVidia Geforce 9800GT
4gb RAM
have a soundblaster soundcard but i doubt that matters.
Powersupply - NeoPower 650 Blue
650W

Ive checked the voltages and tempretures whislt running a game. its all fine.

Which OS are you using to run games?

Have you tried updating or reinstalling the video driver? If not, download and install Driver Sweeper and run the program after performing a regular uninstall (from the Add/Remove Programs window). This will clean up the previous driver installation. After you restart the system, install the latest WHQL'd drivers and restart the computer again. Once the system is back online, try running any game for at least an hour.

If excell's solution doesnt work it could possibly be a heat issue, but in most cases it is not. 650 watts is enough for that system, but I dont know that name, so more than likely its a generic brand, I'm wondering if rage_3k_moiz will respoind to this post.

I had a similar situation with the same symptoms a while back, it turned out to be an infinite loop that was periodically happening caused by a corrupt driver set installation.

How did you end up fixing that? I remember running into an infinite loop running 8600GTs in SLI mode. Quite annoying I must say as the problem persisted even after installing new drivers and trying out some beta sets. The colors got all messed up and games would crash time after time... can't remember how I went about fixing it lol.

How did you end up fixing that? I remember running into an infinite loop running 8600GTs in SLI mode. Quite annoying I must say as the problem persisted even after installing new drivers and trying out some beta sets. The colors got all messed up and games would crash time after time... can't remember how I went about fixing it lol.

yeah im with ya on that EX, for some reason repeated attempts to remove the driver set failed(got error messages in the uninstall summary) it was just repetition and restarts, and finally it uninstalled completely, but the error was always to do with the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package thing, so short answer is i don't know what finally gave.

If it is a visual c++2005 Then you might want to update. I update mine to c++2005 SP1 and c++2008 SP1. Also with the popping/lagging sound, you may have a problem with your sound drivers as well. The third alternative may be a problem with the ROM you're using to run the game CD if the problem only shows up while gaming. Unless you're using Steam or something.

It's hard to tell if your card is overheating because the temps fall off so quickly. I use EVGA Precision to run the GPU temp in the task bar. I run a game that can go quickly back to the desktop when hitting the window key to get an idea how high the temp is. Or you can run a program that logs the temps while running the game like GPU-Z 0.3.1. Go to the sensor tab and check the box at the bottom that says Log to file and the continue refreshing box.

Also check with the manufacturer of the RAM and see what the working voltages are. If it has a range like 2.1 to 2.3v try kicking up the voltage just a tad if you are on the lower range. And check the filters on your intake fans. You can have a lot of fans but if the filters get clogged it doesn't help much with the cooling.

Hi luvhuffer,
The C++2005 Redist is what comes with the latest ATI CCC driver sets , but i will double check that. i think in my case that the drivers were not completely being uninstalled.

Ya Red the c++ is like the dx9. It's not gonna install the latest versions (or service packs in the case of the c++) unless you do them yourself. Or a program installs them, but even then you can't be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back