Nvidia and AMD Keep Dropping GPU Prices After New Products Flop

The gpu prices are definitely in a downward trajectory. Both Newegg and Amazon have a 10 to 15% sale below MSRP at checkout now. For eg. 7900 xtx as low as $882, 6950 xt fell to $570, 7900xt fell to $720 and 4070 for $539. Some graphics cards come bundled with a $60 game on top of that fyi.

Right now, one can get a Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XT on Amazon UK for £750 -- that's a 17% drop over the launch price of £899. That's 16% more than the RX 6800 XT's UK launch price of £649 and for the performance difference between the two, it's a far better prospect. Of course, that 6800's price was during the pandemic-inflation period, so still very expensive, despite how good it is.

The gpu prices are definitely in a downward trajectory. Both Newegg and Amazon have a 10 to 15% sale below MSRP at checkout now. For eg. 7900 xtx as low as $882, 6950 xt fell to $570, 7900xt fell to $720 and 4070 for $539. Some graphics cards come bundled with a $60 game on top of that fyi.
My Son grabbed a 6950XT over Memorial Day weekend from Microcenter for $480.
I didn't even realize that the top tier GPUs from the previous gen (69xx XT and 3090 series) are as capable as they still are until he showed me.

Man, I would sure like to see all these guys that bought cards a year or two ago for double or triple the MSRP. They aren`t going to buy a new one for some years. And then we`re left with people who said fk you Nvidia and AMD, get me something decent! But, what do you know? They`re still thinking they are selling to the same crowd of hyped up careless money spenders. 100 bucks for 8 more Gb of VRAM? Really, Nvidia? I`m not even going to start on AMD, but all cards, Nvidia`s and AMD`s are at least 100 bucks overpriced to begin with.

Last edited:
4060 Ti is just not worth $400+ as it is jut not enough upgrade for the price. The 4070 is desirable because you actually get a real performance bump, though I still think the price is a good $100 too expensive, as $500 seems like a much better deal IMO. I really wanted that card, but $600 is just too much for me. I spent a lot of time comparing GPUs lately, and I chose to go the used route for a 3070 Ti for $350 on ebay. That has its pros and cons for sure, but so far I have a great card that works as good as new. The 3070 Ti is faster than a 4060 Ti and much better suited for my AI work. It runs everything at ultra/max and still easily hits 60-70 FPS. Sure it has 8GB ram, but so does the 4060 Ti.

The news media is widely ignoring the current economic conditions of the middle class. It's not surprising at all that luxury items are not selling well. Inflation has settled in and the high prices are not going away. We are in a recession and one that is a lot worse than anyone is letting on. When you couple that with simply poor value products, of course sales are going to be low. It's a perfect storm.

4060 Ti is just not worth $400+ as it is jut not enough upgrade for the price. The 4070 is desirable because you actually get a real performance bump, though I still think the price is a good $100 too expensive, as $500 seems like a much better deal IMO. I really wanted that card, but $600 is just too much for me. I spent a lot of time comparing GPUs lately, and I chose to go the used route for a 3070 Ti for $350 on ebay. That has its pros and cons for sure, but so far I have a great card that works as good as new. The 3070 Ti is faster than a 4060 Ti and much better suited for my AI work. It runs everything at ultra/max and still easily hits 60-70 FPS. Sure it has 8GB ram, but so does the 4060 Ti.
From what I am seeing gamers agree that the 4070 should be closer to the $500 mark but with 4060ti 16 gig is supposed to launch at that price which might prevent the price going lower at least the the near term. Once the 4060ti 16 gig vram launches and no one will buy it the price will probably go down to what gamers are willing to pay for it at least vocally. The 20% below current MSRP is where a lot of gamers are willing to put up with across the board.

From what I am seeing gamers agree that the 4070 should be closer to the $500 mark but with 4060ti 16 gig is supposed to launch at that price which might prevent the price going lower at least the the near term. Once the 4060ti 16 gig vram launches and no one will buy it the price will probably go down to what gamers are willing to pay for it at least vocally. The 20% below current MSRP is where a lot of gamers are willing to put up with across the board.
I would have bought the 4070 for $500. I think the 4060 TI 16GB is dead on arrival at $500. You are just getting more RAM but no real performance upgraded, unless the add a mild overclock or something. The 4060 Ti is not even a 4k card, so the only thing 16 GB gives you is the HD texture packs, which maybe is a plus, but not for $100 IMO.

To Nvidia, the $100-200 premium they have added to all the cards may seem like petty cash to them. I mean during COVID and the crypto boom it worked. However, when it comes to your average gamer who works hard and saves their money it is a huge deal. It always sucks when companies go from providing a good product for a good price for the consumer and become obsessed with profit and shareholders. Oh well, c'est la vie.

From what I can gather from only being able to view quantities of GPUs on Micro Center's website for my local store (I don't have actual data on numbers sold and inventory replaced, I can only go by the numbers I see on the site) it appears that the 3060Ti cards are outselling the 4060Ti cards.

The day after the 4060Ti 8GB released, my local Micro Center showed they had 103 of these cards available for purchase. As of today it shows they have 70 of these cards in stock - it appears that they've sold around 3 dozen (give or take) since the card released about a month ago.

The day after the 4060Ti 8GB released, my local Micro Center showed they had 113 of the 3060Ti cards in stock. As of today they have 40 (not counting the few open box models) available for sale. The 3060Ti are outselling the 4060Ti by 2:1.

That's just sad if you ask me. Folks are willing to spend around $30 less on a 3060Ti over a 4060Ti - a card that offers upwards of 10% more performance. If I had around $400 I'd rather go for the 4060Ti over the 3060Ti for that slightly better performance plus roughly 55W lower power consumption while gaming. But maybe that's just me.

Thankfully I'm not in this position of needing to buy a new GPU so I don't have to deal with the crap Nvidia and AMD has been pushing out this current gen.

20% is nothing if you think the 100% raise of prices of bitcoin and covid era I would expect even more than that to be motivated to buy a Gpu !!20 % percent is still a sucker price for just 10-20 fps more and a input lug Dlss sh..it!!

Fm what is inferred in the OP RTX 4070's are selling like hotcakes.

Amazing there are ppl who pay over $600 for a 70 series GPU.

They are sending the Leatherman the wrong message.

Anything less that 30% lower (at least) is not even worth considering.

Especially because all those companies raised (and still raising) their prices exponentially- and screwed the non-scalpers a mere 18 months ago.

so basically, they're making the low teir cards so bad that they are making things like the 4070 look like a good value?
Pretty much. None of the lower tier Nvidia cards are sufficiently fast for me to even consider. Looking strictly at performance, I wouldn't go lower than a 4070Ti, but at $800, that's kind of hard to swallow. I'd like to get a 4080 at a 4070Ti price, but I don't really see that happening, until maybe year end when next gen will be right around the corner. At sub-$900 the 7900XTX is starting to become more interesting, but it's still $800+ so it will need to go lower.

All of the low and mid-tier cards are DOA because a $500 console will deliver better performance. There are plenty of people that will pay over a grand for a GPU, but those people bought in 2022. The people who are still interested aren't willing to cough up a few hundred dollars more. This is very bad news for PC gaming. Game developers need to sell to a diverse group of people in order to get the sales quantity to make the project or port worthwhile.

GPU fatigue is likely also a cause. Most people that were waiting through the GPU drought already bought a card. Also consider inflation which has decimated consumers leaving many living paycheck to paycheck with less disposable income. Not such a great environment to release new and expensive products.

It must be one of the weakest launches in the last 10 years.
And with freakin AI, they do not even care.
Fine, let them do it. Only people won't come back when
they replace their gaming platform.

I settled for an MSI Mech RX 6750XT from Newegg. Been a great card so far, and a massive uplift, considering I was on a GTX 1060 6GB. NVDIA pricing is too insane still.

So happy that we finally woke up to the crap both Nvidia and AMD are pulling. During the pandemic, AIB and the above mentioned effed all of us by selling to the scalpers by the dozens. After the pandemic ended, instead of learning their lesson, what do they do? Hike up the prices of the new GPUs, hoping that we are stupid enough to swallow the pill?! Hahahaha.
Let me get this clear: GPUs are hot bread? Are they meat and potatoes? No! GPUs are just an expensive hobby I can live without. If this is how these companies want to play, just increasing the price of the new tier GPUs, let them burn. I can live without playing anything for the next two years or more, until they learn that you can't freaking milk me 1200 EURO for an 80 series. If at this price point I won't be able to buy a 5090,I can live without gaming and die on this hill. An 80 series should be 800 for a Ti and less for a normal one, let's see how those shareholders are happy with these sales unless they learn.
Oh the other hand, I suppose AI stuff sales are great, otherwise the big two would have bowed to the will of the people.
Let's see who gives in first. I can live without playing, they can't live without selling.

GPU fatigue is likely also a cause. Most people that were waiting through the GPU drought already bought a card. Also consider inflation which has decimated consumers leaving many living paycheck to paycheck with less disposable income. Not such a great environment to release new and expensive products.
Inflation?
I don't see much inflation in PC components outside of GPUs. Have you seen RAM and NAND prices? Even CPU prices have only nudged up a bit. The GPU is eating half of the entire build cost now.

Back