Nvidia and AMD Seriously Want to Offload Current-Gen GPUs

I wonder if the used GPUs market would yield lower prices for the current GPUs generation, but that might be a risky endeavor, with the miners dumping their used cards... can't trust no one these days...

6700XT is looking like a good deal but I did say the 3070ti is worth $600 to me. It might go lower but this is the craziest I've ever seen the GPU market.

ETC, Raven and Ergo wanna say "hello"
Frankly, with all the push to energy efficiency and carbon reduction around the world, I don't think crypto really has a chance unless they find ways to reduce energy consumption. With all the green initiatives, if crypto doesn't evolve it will start being targeted heavily by regulators and it isn't like the financial sector isn't already making this push. If you have regulators and the green energy people push back against crypto and it could spell serious trouble for it's future

IMO, the mid range cards are still a good $100 overpriced. I would pounce on a 3070Ti if I could get it for $500 given the increased performance and inflation adjust over my 1070 Ti. Just need to shed that $100 crypto tax.

For comparison, my 1070 Ti that had an MSRP of $450 when launched in Nov 2017. I bought it for around $350 in 2018. A 3070Ti has a MSRP of $600 when launched in June 2021 and currently costs $620. I know it is not exactly apples to apples in performance, but both were midrange for their time. Inflation adjusted $450 would have the 3070Ti at $540 MSRP and deal price at $420.

Etherium Crypto currency is moving to a "Proof of Stake" vs its previous "Proof of Work" scheme. There is about to be an enormous glut of used GPUs flooding the market which will drop their prices
They've been in this "moving" state for like 5 years now. I believe it when I see it.

They've been in this "moving" state for like 5 years now. I believe it when I see it.
Read an article recently somewhere, that its for real this time and in the next month or 2 when the network reaches some state where it can be switched over with minimal impact to users. Can't say I recall more than that or understand the 'magical state' :)

Edit: the article is on front page of arstechnica site

Last edited:
After the way these companies handled the mining crisis, if they're now stuck with too much inventory...
il_340x270.872831131_kbm8.jpg

IMO, for the upcoming generation of GPUs, the chip makers need to stop viewing their potential customers as geese laying golden eggs. Though nVidia cards from the 3 series are now priced much lower than MSRP, they are still too pricey for my taste. I think I would rather wait and see how the new cards will be priced, and if they are still beyond my taste, I'll consider buying used, or new in the value or budget bracket.

I keep seeing these bombastic titles and run to check prices again. Big surprise! Nothing has changed. Mid range, which most people want is actually, still around 100 euros OVER MSRP here, in Europe. That's two year old tech, Nvidia and AMD, why don't you GFY!

I keep seeing these bombastic titles and run to check prices again. Big surprise! Nothing has changed. Mid range, which most people want is actually, still around 100 euros OVER MSRP here, in Europe. That's two year old tech, Nvidia and AMD, why don't you GFY!

Not only Nvidia and AMD can do what you say, but also shops and rest of supply chain.
Also dont forget that we have USD to Euro conversion 1:1 and also VAT and import taxes.
And local warehouses that have old stocks and dont like to loose a cent.
I keep watching prices for last 3 months, just a few cents here and there in Nvidia midrange.
AMD on the other hand got some real discounts, but not good enough.

Please do a UK version of this article and compare actual available prices to MSRP ... you will see that none of these cards are below MSRP. Even on Nvidias own website, they have the MSRP card out of stock @ GBP 649, and the cheapest available is GBP 799 (3080). So thats +20% over MSRP still. Hardly suggests they are trying to shift stock.

Something like a 6700 (non XT) for €299 might get me somewhat interested. Let‘s see if we get there.

Question to Tim: Seeing where prices stand right now, will you get suckered into believing msrp, particularly nVidia‘s like almost all reviewers (Gamers‘ Nexus‘ Steve being a rare exception), pretending this gen‘s msrp lie did not happen or will you take a more cautious ‚fool me once‘ approach next gen ?

I wonder if the used GPUs market would yield lower prices for the current GPUs generation, but that might be a risky endeavor, with the miners dumping their used cards... can't trust no one these days...
Nah, Linus showed that mining doesn't really degrade GPUs.
IMO, the mid range cards are still a good $100 overpriced. I would pounce on a 3070Ti if I could get it for $500 given the increased performance and inflation adjust over my 1070 Ti. Just need to shed that $100 crypto tax.
Sure, and I'd pounce on a Lamborghini for $100,000 but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
For comparison, my 1070 Ti that had an MSRP of $450 when launched in Nov 2017. I bought it for around $350 in 2018. A 3070Ti has a MSRP of $600 when launched in June 2021 and currently costs $620. I know it is not exactly apples to apples in performance, but both were midrange for their time. Inflation adjusted $450 would have the 3070Ti at $540 MSRP and deal price at $420.
I did a big post a year or so ago showing how nVidia's tier pricing had remained pretty stable from the GTX 300-series up to the GTX 1000-series but then increased by 17% for the GTX 2000-series before becoming stable again.

The GTX 280 initially had an MSRP of $649 (back in 08, that was nutz) before the HD 4870 smacked it down 40% to $400. The GTX 300 to 1000-series were priced between $550 and $600 which was fine but the RTX 2080 was the first card to hit $700 after over a decade of price stability.

You'd have been shocked to see the number of people coming to nVidia's defence with a myriad of lame excuses of why the RTX card cost more (like Tensor Cores). I merely responded with "You're telling me that nVidia has been hurting from the pricing that they've been using over the last decade? You're telling me that nVidia is NOT worth several BILLION dollars that was gleaned from their large profit margins?"

People believe what they want to believe, not what is actually true.

ETC, Raven and Ergo wanna say "hello"
Combined, these are barely 2 percent of Eth's market cap. ETC in particular, I'm not sure why it exists; if "code is law" and the blockchain should be immutable, surely you should want BTC instead? I don't have anything against Raven but it's whole raisson d'etre seems to be to give miners something to mine, and I'm not sure how sustainable that is (at least, without some other concrete application). Ergo is the most interesting to me out of the three but it has a long row to hoe in terms of adoption, but its advantage is that it does not have the baggage of ETC. The current winter is going to be a significant test of many altcoins' staying power and communities.

Combined, these are barely 2 percent of Eth's market cap. ETC in particular, I'm not sure why it exists; if "code is law" and the blockchain should be immutable, surely you should want BTC instead? I don't have anything against Raven but it's whole raisson d'etre seems to be to give miners something to mine, and I'm not sure how sustainable that is (at least, without some other concrete application). Ergo is the most interesting to me out of the three but it has a long row to hoe in terms of adoption, but its advantage is that it does not have the baggage of ETC. The current winter is going to be a significant test of many altcoins' staying power and communities.
One can only hope that all these ETH forks would just crush upon the weight of ETH miners - or at least that part that decides to keep PoW alive. But something (well, "something".... major mining pools saying they're switching to etc, raven and erg) tells me these forks will do just fine. I mean, miners gonna get profit hit, definitely, maybe a major part of miners will fall off, but they gonna stay with us, as a "long term problems"

IMO, for the upcoming generation of GPUs, the chip makers need to stop viewing their potential customers as geese laying golden eggs. Though nVidia cards from the 3 series are now priced much lower than MSRP, they are still too pricey for my taste. I think I would rather wait and see how the new cards will be priced, and if they are still beyond my taste, I'll consider buying used, or new in the value or budget bracket.
Lots of people felt and said the same thing last time and ended up with nothing for months / years or spending significantly more than they wanted to originally.

The market you think you'll fall back on when new cards are either too expensive or all sold out will cause the market you want to rely on to dry up and or go much higher in price. It's why I was able to sell a rx 580 I paid less than $200 bucks for in 2019 for over $500 in 2021.

It's all clickbait cause they know you're desperate to see actual movement.

Not only Nvidia and AMD can do what you say, but also shops and rest of supply chain.
Also dont forget that we have USD to Euro conversion 1:1 and also VAT and import taxes.
And local warehouses that have old stocks and dont like to loose a cent.
I keep watching prices for last 3 months, just a few cents here and there in Nvidia midrange.
AMD on the other hand got some real discounts, but not good enough.

AMD got some decent prices because nobody wants them compared to what they can get with Nvidia.

Nah, Linus showed that mining doesn't really degrade GPUs.

You'd have been shocked to see the number of people coming to nVidia's defence with a myriad of lame excuses of why the RTX card cost more (like Tensor Cores). I merely responded with "You're telling me that nVidia has been hurting from the pricing that they've been using over the last decade? You're telling me that nVidia is NOT worth several BILLION dollars that was gleaned from their large profit margins?"

People believe what they want to believe, not what is actually true.

Pricing staying stagnant all those years proves that price increase should have been expected and so what if they are worth billions? Should they as a business just "hang it up" since you know they've already made "billions"?

OR are they a part of the capitalistic society we choose to partake in and only doing what any public company is supposed to do.... Make as much money as the supply and demand of our economy will allow?

Please get off your high horse don't like what they have to offer at the price they offer? Don't partake... Won't effect them in the long run and the system is already proved they easily could have asked for even more and gotten it.

Don't be surprised to see price increases moving forward until the market pushes back at the limit Nvidia is going to do what's in their best interest and the interest of their stock holders.

And one last thing about the "reasons" given about tensor cores and such you say so many were stating... Has it not been shown over amd over multiple times that the "RTX tax" actually offers objective value and the "savings" going AMD obviously doesn't seem worth it with how small a difference it provides vs what you end up missing put on.

The sales data backs that up as well as the current pricing and how Nvidia remains strong and holding much better than AMD where price reduction has been significantly higher.

There's a reason for this and numbers don't lie... No "feels" just facts.

Last edited:
Back