Nvidia announces GeForce GTX 560M for gaming laptops

Jos

Staff

Nvidia has taken the wraps off its latest high-end graphics chips for notebooks at Computex. The new GeForce GTX 560M brings a welcome performance boost from the GTX 460M as well as improved battery life thanks to the company's Optimus graphics switching technology. Specs include 192 CUDA cores, with 1550MHz shader frequency, a 775MHz graphics clock, and 1250MHz memory frequency with either 1.5GB or 3GB of GDDR5 memory and a 192-bit bus.

According to the company the new GTX 560M should enable the latest games to run at playable frame rates on a 1080p screen with maximum detail, minus antialiasing. So far Asus , MSI, Alienware, Toshiba and Clevo have all committed to new notebooks packing the new graphics processor, though as usual specific implementations are up to each manufacturer and it seems only Toshiba's Qosmio and Alienware's M17x will offer Optimus support.

nvidia geforce gtx debuts gaming laptops

Nvidia is also refreshing its entry-level DX 11 offerings with the GeForce GT 520MX, designed for thin and light and other highly mobile platforms. It is a slight update to the GT 520M with the same 64-bit memory bus and 48 CUDA cores, but featuring higher frequencies at 900MHz, 1.8GHz and 900MHz for the graphics core, shaders and memory, respectively.

In related news, those looking forward to some stereoscopic 3D gaming will soon be able to buy a wired version of Nvidia's 3D Vision glasses for $99. They feature the same active-shutter technology as their more expensive ($150) wireless counterparts, as well as support more than 65 different 3D Vision monitors, notebooks, and projectors.

nvidia geforce gtx notebook laptop optimus

nvidia geforce gtx notebook laptop optimus

Permalink to story.

The specs for the GTX 560M should be put it just below the performance level of a GeForce GTX 550 Ti but with a much bigger memory buffer although I don't see much use for the additional 500 MB to 2 GB of GDDR5 from a gaming standpoint. Personally, I do find a resolution of 1920x1080 on laptops less suitable for my eyes than lower resolutions.

Back