NVIDIA Card/Driver Graphics Related Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

retexan599

My desktop system is experiencing unexpected shutdowns, apparently related to the NVIDIA Graphics Driver per the Windows problem report. Basically, the system will not now reboot into Normal mode. I have done a System Restore to a date prior to the first unexpected shutdown, but the system will still not reboot into Normal mode.

Here are some particulars:
• Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) with SP1.
• All available Windows updates are installed.
• HP Pavilion; 2 GB RAM; system is about 1.5 years old; problem first surfaced on 9/8/2008; never had a problem before.
• Intel Core2 Duo cpu
• NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE graphics card
-Original NVIDIA driver version: 7.15.11.6230 dated 8/27/2007
-Updated NVIDIA driver version: 7.15.11.7519 dated 5/16/2008 (downloaded from NVIDIA web site)
• No new hardware, no new software; no over-clocking.

What I observe:
• The windows problem report says: “The problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver……there is no solution for this problem at this time” – and it recommends updating the drivers which I did.
• The ‘blue screen’ reporting the crash has vertical red lines; some of the boot screens have only filled zeros.
• The ‘blue screen’ ‘Technical Information’ says:
o "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed". This line is on the page that notes the nvlddmkm.sys as part of the 'Technical Information'.
o STOP: OXOOOOO116 + other data in parentheses.
o Nvlddmkm.sys – Address 8BC0800 base at 8BC03000 and a date stamp value.
• I opened the case and there is practically no dirt at all, and each of the four fans is running fine.
• I ran the HP Memory Test that came with my HP computer; all tests passed. I also ran the 'Windows Memory Test' at restart, and all tests passed.
• I posted some photos of the screens during the crash and restart process if they would help. They are at:

http://tinyurl.com/5uhjxa

• When I restart the computer, it will not boot into a Normal Mode; it immediately crashes with the same display driver timeout error. What I do to get it to run at all is: Restart into Safe Mode; Uninstall the graphics driver; clean with Driver Sweeper; Restart. It will go into (what I call) Semi-Normal Mode, with a low resolution Vista desktop. I get a message saying that I need to Restart to get the graphics device to function normally, but a restart will just start the crash cycle again. Device Manager says that the loaded driver is the Microsoft WDDM one, Version 7.14.10.9687 dated 8/22/2006; I am assuming this is a kind of default driver that it chose after I Uninstalled the most recent driver.

I am guessing that there is a hardware issue with my graphics card, but wanted to see what others might think before removing or replacing it. Thoughts appreciated and thanks.

I have remedied my video card problem by purchasing a new card altogether. The new card is an NVIDIA 9400 GT that I found at Fry’s in Houston. It installed directly and the machine started up normally. It seems clear that the original 7500 LE card had failed after only 15 months of use. I am now back to normal, and also have a higher end card. The power requirement for the 9400 was within my existing 350 watt psu.

Thanks to all who gave advice along the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back