NVidia drivers conflicting with OS (BSOD error)

overflow

Hi,
I was making a video with Camtasia some time before when some problem occurred. Once it showed that the nVidia drivers recovered from a problem and after some time, it gave a black screen error

I performed some diagnostics during the BIOS startup with DELL onboard Diagnostics utility. It passed the tests and when I rebooted the colors were set itself. By the time I came to Desktop, the colors again started showing a problem and it came to 16 bit and then there was a totally black screen.
Again a restart till the desktop and it showed me the error detail:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   124
  BCP1:   00000000
  BCP2:   87324024
  BCP3:   00000000
  BCP4:   00000000
  OS Version:   6_1_7600
  Service Pack:   0_0
  Product:   256_1

I ahve a DELL XPS M1530 and the specs are
Nvidia 8600M GT
4GB Ram
Core2Do T8100
320Gb Hard Disk
Windows 7

I downloaded the latest nVidia driver 266.58 for 8600M GT from the official site and installed them

After reinstalling the drivers, the same error occurred after 5-6 hours. This time I was just using Photoshop when the screen turned black and freezed and then did a force shutdown. I have disabled the drivers of nVidia for now since I think they are causing the problem and there's no problem occuring after this. What should I do now?

driver clean

try to use a driver cleaner app to completely remove the nvidia driver before installing latest drivers - try using a older driver or modded driver (see guru3d)

it might be a opengl issue if not hardware related to your vga card - check photoshop to see if its using opengl.

edit: one odd thing i came across was that a startup app (eg yahoo messenger) was set to run in compatibility mode and a lower resolution mode - remove all startup entries via msconfig and if it fixes your sartup problems then re-enable them one by one to find the culprit

try to use a driver cleaner app to completely remove the nvidia driver before installing latest drivers - try using a older driver or modded driver (see guru3d)
Ok, I'll try this with Revo unistaller

it might be a opengl issue if not hardware related to your vga card - check photoshop to see if its using opengl.
OpenGL was disabled earlier than the error. Before this, the error occured when I was producing a screencast using Camtasia screen recorder. It might not be Photoshop specific

I am currently running on onboard VGA graphics without any BSOD for 24 hours despite using Photoshop, Camtasia. Meanwhile, I also performed a RAM check and there were no errors in the RAM.

edit: one odd thing i came across was that a startup app (eg yahoo messenger) was set to run in compatibility mode and a lower resolution mode - remove all startup entries via msconfig and if it fixes your sartup problems then re-enable them one by one to find the culprit
The only thing that I installled recently was IE8 Greasemonkey GM4IE since I am developing scripts for IE. I disbaled it in the startup and will chck again.

looks like hardware to me but onboard should also cause you aero disable in most cases due to lack of onboard card performance (win7/vista) - no aero = no stress on vga card - no active d3d/ogl access - these modern OS try and do use hardware accel on vga part so at lest in theory more software can benefit and cause a crash at the same time (but mostly in cases of faulty hardware) - check windows logs - check dxdiag and try to update directx

i suggest stressing your vga card a bit with furmark - if it crashes then you have your most likely culprit

looks like hardware to me but onboard should also cause you aero disable in most cases due to lack of onboard card performance (win7/vista) - no aero = no stress on vga card - no active d3d/ogl access -
Yes, while I am using the onboard VGA, aero on Win7 here is disabled and also the system is running a bit slow.

i suggest stressing your vga card a bit with furmark - if it crashes then you have your most likely culprit

P.S Windows is not fully updated. I disabled since it makes the system slow sometimes. Can that be the problem?

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer other than simply stating hardware. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

This might help you: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Yesterday, I had disabled some of the starup programs that I haven't been using. Today morning when I switched on the computer for looking into this thread and opened Firefox, the error occured again. I had to force shutdown and it started in 16 bit colors. I looked up in Device Manager> Graphics Adapter and nVidia was already disabled as I had did it earlier. Does that bring closer to point to the problem?
No dump file was there in Windows/Minidumps.

So, I am running on 16bit mode now, nVidia disabled. When I try to change the mode to 32 bit, it shows some blank screen and then reverts to 16 bit. Does that point to something faulty in VGA card or dust inside the laptop?
(CPU Temp is normal 70/71 degrees)

As indicated it can be any hardware so, yes, the video card certainly sounds like it might be the issue.

FYI memtest needs to run a minimum of 7 Passes and the more Passes after 7 so much the better.

Back