Nvidia EVGA 6800gt heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_ds3000

i just bought a new EVGA 6800gt off of ebay and i want to know if it is possible to remove the stock heatsink and turn it 180 degrees and reattach it. if some could find a pic of the underside of the heatsink it would help me out alot. the reason i want to do this is because i have a pci slot fan and i want to use it to suck the hot air from the video card

You might be able to get some pics off google.

However, without checking, I'd have to say no. From experience, their heatsinks were manufactured to fit the graphics card and RAM, which are of different heights. Therefore, the underside of the heatsink isn't flat... and you get the idea hopefully.

Why would you want to try that. The heatsinks were long ago proven to be a superior system to draw heat away from the device. You would need a fairly complex port to circulate the air where needed, then port it out.

i have searched Google for almost an hour to find a pic but cant find one. i have a side window on my case and i have a 120mm fan on the side panel right next to the video card. the 120mm fan brings cool air in while the pci slot fan sucks out the hot air. if it cant be done that it not a lost to me. im only gong to use this video card until i build a new gaming computer. i know i can remove the fan and fan shroud and just leave the heatsink on the core and the memory, like this http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/DangerDenNV-68-Liquid3D-7405.jpg. would the card get to hot if i Passive cool the 6800gt with the 120mm fan beside it and the pci slot fan

dustin_ds3000 said:
i have searched Google for almost an hour to find a pic but cant find one.

You're right, a quick google doesn't show the EVGA varieties.

And like raybay mentioned, why would you want to do that? Is it overheating, and you're looking for a superior cooling solution?

Having it semi-passive cooled like you mentioned shouldn't be superior to the current configuration, although I can't see why you shouldn't try it.

If you're really trying to cool it down, there are arctic cooling solutions made just for this card (I think) which should be going for a song wherever you can find them now, given that this card is now "obsolete".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back