TechSpot

Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt driver

By t8c8
Jun 6, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    i reformatted my pc just now and looked for a driver. The nvidia site gave me a "general" file compatible with all drivers from the 4th or 5th series to the 9th i think.
    When i installed it, there was a message saying it wasnt compatible witht he windows logo or smthing, but i continuedit anyway. Now there's a problem with it. I checked the device manager and there's a "!" on it. sooo i'm still looking for the right driver.

btw, how do u know if u'r going to look for 32 bit or 64 bit? i dnt understand these much yet... and i dnt know where my cd is... so if someone can get me the solo driver for this, much appreciated. :)
  2. anybodykilla

anybodykilla TS Rookie Posts: 27

To Check Your OS Click Start And Look To The Very Left Going Vertically Up The Start Menu. It Will Tell You What It Is, For Example Me: Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition.
  3. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

First off, which drivers are you trying to download. The new GForce drivers will work, to some extent, but for gpu's that are version 6 or 7, the best driver is 182.08 Reason being is that they are geared for performance for series 8 and above. Part of the problem is that PhysX is included in the driver package, and the series 6 & 7 just doesn't support some of the options that are included. Case in point: "I had to turn off multi-core rendering in games such as Left for Dead" for the game to run.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.