Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

I have need of a new video card for my Dell E310, and I've been considering options for months and through other posts. Lately, a friend of mine offered to send me his Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS. My computer only has one PCI-E slot, a bus speed of x1. This card requires a x16 slot. I know I can buy a converter for the slot, and that the card should be able to function. However, this method is only recommended for use with low profile cards. Is this card low profile? Also, I'm going to have to upgrade my Power Supply, which is neither hard now expensive. I know there are other options upgrading my computer and whatnot, but I just want to know if this can work. (The planned Power Supply will be 450 watts)

Well, the point was giving information so I wouldn't have to test it with no idea how it will turn out, I would really like to know if anybody (preferably a tech expert) knows if this will work. I don't want to have to go testing willy nilly because computer parts don't like that.

Alright,
take the side off your computer with it unplugged from the wall. Take the 7900 and carefully line it up with your PCI-e slot. If it looks like it will fit, gently but firmly, seat the video card in the slot. If it doesn't fit, you have answered your own question. You might have to disable the on-board graphics controller in the bios. If you don't feel comfortable doing all this, get a computer savvy friend to help you with this. You won't damage anything by following these instructions. You will just have your answer

I know I can look at it, the problem is, my friend lives out of state. I don't have his card here with me. I know I can buy a converter for the slot if need be, so it fitting doesn't matter, I just need to know if the 7900 GS is a low profile card. Sorry if this seemed unclear.

The 7900GS is not a low profile card. It won't fit into your OEM Dell. PCI-e X1 is a very small connector. PCI-e X16 is much larger. You can only install a PCI-e X1 video card but they are pricey

Thanks Rage, I didn't think they had such video cards. I have seen sound cards but not PCI-e X1 video cards... $100 yikes!

Okay, thanks for the feedback, however, I do not believe I have to settle for a PCI-e x1 card. I can use a converter such as this to make the much cheaper x16 video card work in my PCI-e x1 slot. Since I will have to buy a new power supply anyway, I think by doing this, I can get a reusable card and end up saving maybe $30-$50. Please keep in mind, that is probably not the converter I'm going to buy, just giving you an example of what I'm talking about. Thats why I wanted to know if the 7900 GS was low profile, because higher end cards won't run properly at x1. If anyone could suggest a few x16 cards at low end that would probably work well with this method, please do so.

Here is another site for the adapter / converter.

That acually looks pretty good. I've also looked at the GeForce 8400 GS becuase it's only about $40. What wattage do you think I should get when selecting a power supply for my Dell E310? (Which only comes with a 230W power Supply)

r3claimer, you don't understand that running a PCI-E x16 card at x1 speeds will severely hamper a card's performance. You will get rubbish performance even with a relatively powerful card like the 7900GS. Even an 8400GS will be severely bottlenecked by the reduced PCI-E bus speed. I'd advise saving up for getting a new motherboard, processor and RAM in the future. But it's your call.

As for the PSU, the 8400GS (should you decide to go for it) will not need a new PSU. Your current one will do just fine.

Rage,
Couldn't he go with a PCI video card and get better graphics performance than the on-board? There are 2 standard PCI connectors on the motherboard. Also, any quality power supply is better than the OEM 250 watt one

Yes, PCI is an option, but I really wouldn't spend more than $50 on a PCI card, seeing that the performance increase will not be very great.

As for Dell PSUs, they are very underrated and unless the one in the OP's system is a Bestec, it should be okay with all the cards recommended so far, barring the 7900GS.

Sorry for all the trouble, I was just looking for something to tide me over till' around Oct. 2009. I guess the only thing I can do is not really use my computer for anything other than the internet for about a year. That sucks, but since nobody really seems confident that this idea con work, I guess there's not much I can do. Sorry for the trouble guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back