Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

As i was playing COD last night my PC froze and when i rebooted i had yellow vertical lines on the monitor. I went to the device manager and under the display adapter theres now a yellow exclamation point.The message that is there is -"This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
I had a quick look at several forums and have a feeling my card might be dead. Any suggestions before I assume that?

I had the PC put together about 4 months ago. I did have a problem with a defective mother board that was fried about a month after purchasing. That was replaced by the manufacturer and was told it did not affect any other parts of the PC.

I am running windows XP
and my specs are
Intel Core 2 quad CPU
Q9550 @2.83 GHZ
2.93 GB of RAM

Thanks in advance

Start by wiping the old drivers and reinstalling the newest WHQL drivers from www.nvidia.com and make sure to download a small app called "Driver Sweeper." After you uninstall the display driver from the Add/Remove Programs list (don't restart yet), run DS to completely purge all of the video driver files from the system. Once that is done, restart the computer and proceed to install the new drivers for the card. After another restart try the game again and if it still causing freeze-ups or vertical lines have the card replaced, it's probably faulty vRam.

Thanks for the reply.

Am I just removing the drivers and not also the physX and sesktop manager?
And when using the DS there are 3 choices for NVidia-Chipset, display and physX

All 3 or just 1 of those?

Thanks again for the reply

You don't need to remove Physx, but I might try disabling it until you get the card working properly. In DS, just check off Nvidia display and then restart the computer. The Physx files might be reinstalled during the display driver installation in which you can just disable it after and then try running the game. I would only recommend using the feature if you have another video card or physics accelerator installed.

I've done all that and still the card doesn
t seem to work. I think the card does need to be replaced. I'll have my buddy who put together the PC have a look at it this weekend just to be safe

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back