Nvidia GeForce 9800GT freezes every game

shhbang

Hi, I was on google looking for a good site to post problems so I figured I'd sign up and see if you could help me out or just give me some feedback on my problem. Before I start anything, I'll tell you the basics about my computer..

hp m9450f
-INtel Core 2 Quad Q9300/2.5GHz
- 8 GB DDR2 240- pin ram
- Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512 MB
-460W power supply

I've had a HP m9450f elite for about a year now and have never had any problems with it. Reasonably fast computer, with decent gaming capabilities. I am aware that this computer is not the greatest for gaming, but it seemed to be doing good. Until a few months ago, when it started freezing on every game. Right when you got into some actual gameplay, it freezes leaving me with the audio going crazy, and for a few seconds the screen flashes lines but then my monitor goes into power save mode :p

I run games such Crysis 2, GTA 4, CSS, Battlefield BC2. All of these games were working great until suddenly they all started to have the freezing problem.

Here are the things I have tried so far: (none of these things have worked)

-Rolling back the video card driver
-upddating it again :p
-Most of the time, I use dualview and that still works fine, but sometimes when i have a video up and i try todrag it from screento screen it'll freeze but it usually happens in game
- Since I use dualview I have obviously tried running games using 'singleview' ( i've even disconnected the other monitor but it still freezes. )
- I got a little desperate lately so I've tken apart the case and unplgged the videocard and plugged itback in. :p
-Installed the latest version of Java.

So as you can see, i've tried alot of things but im sure there are other things I haven't tried. I would just like some feedback before I run out and buy a brand new videocard ( was thinking about the nvidia gtx550 TI? if its possible)

Welcome to TSF,

Please download OCCT and thoroughly stress test your graphic card.

You need to stress test your GPU and GPU RAM as well.

As it is an HP, it may contain some crappy OEM PSU as well, which can also cause such issues, so can you please tell me specs/make of your PSU as well.

It has a Delta 460W power supply.
Model DPS-460DB. That's all I know about thepowr supply,I was considering replacing it when I first bought the computer, but it didn't seem to be a big issue then. I guess now getting a new one wouldn't be a bad idea. On the psu it says NOT EXCEED 385 W... haha piece of junk

From what i know, it's either the psu or the graphics card. Most likely the psu. but thanks for the quick response, stresstesting now :)

Okay, I would recommend you to first complete these tests, and then consider replacing your PSU with at least 500W unit, from Antec/Corsair (or any other reputed brand you may like).

Alright I'll probably do that.
I ran all the tests and no errors or anything at all. The only problem it had is during the GPU:OCCT graphics stress test, the computer froze just like it does during gams, so I'm going to see what happens when I put a better power supply in. Thanks

Hey man, I bought a Orion 585 W power supply, hooked it all up and I still have the same problem :S

The only problem it had is during the GPU:OCCT graphics stress test, the computer froze just like it does during gams

That was very good indicator that your graphic card is failing.

Do your PC have an onboard (Intel) HD graphics solution? If so, connect your monitor to it, and use your PC for couple of days to see how it behaves. Please remember that you may have to install appropriate drivers for onboard VGA.

If the PC is still in warranty you may have a chance to get it replaced by HP. Otherwise, there is no option but to buy a new one.

I would return that power supply (it's not very good anyway), and also try and get it replaced by HP. Quite possibly graphics card failure.

Hello and Thanks for the input kitty, as I had absolutely no idea about quality of the PSU in question.

I was a little skeptical about the psu also, but I got it for a good price from my supplier so I'm not one to complain. Thing, is now I can play a game (GTA 4 for example) for about 30 minutes of gameplay (graphics running smoothly and everything) and then it freezes up like it did before swapping the psu. To be perfectly honest, I don't think the problem is with the PSU and I might just go and buy a nvidia 550GTX ti. But before I jump to conclusions I'll tell my supplier what's happening and we'll see if he can get it straightened out ( he's the one who sold me the computer) THanks for the feedback guys and obviously i'm still open to anymore thoughts you guys might have :) And sorry but no, I do not have an onboard graphics solution :(

No problem about onboard vga, I am very certain the issue is with the graphic card. Good luck with your supplier :)

If however, you end up having to purchase a new graphic card we'd like to know what will be your budget.

Thank you

And I'm probably looking at something in the 100-200 dollar range.
It's not like I'm a hardcore PC gamer, I'm just looking to make my computer capable of running a game like Crysis 2, or GTA 4 smoothly, with no problems at all. I think the gtx550 ti should do the trick :)

Well Radeon HD 6870 seems a good bet to me:

Crysis_01.png

Crysis_02.png

Review here.

If you are going to game below 1920x1200 resolution, 550 Ti will be about decent choice. However, in that case, I'd suggest you to consider Geforce 460GTX.

Wow thanks man I'll take a look and see if i can get my hands on the radeon 6870, or maybe the GTX460.

They will run, but I would not recommend using an PSU which is of not a good quality, any way, it is our OP's discretion and we can only make suggestions.

alright then i can take the hard drive back if i need to what psu would you suggest for running a videocard like that?

Back