NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 preventing hibernation.. HELP!

By Kirei Blossom
Jan 28, 2006
  1. My computer has been acting strangely for a while now. First, whenever I restart I get a "this system has just recovered from a serious error" message. I posted a few minidumps on this forum but most of my minidumps are corrupted.

Today, when I hibernated the computer and later tried to turn it on again, a screen appeared saying "could not recover data to boot the system" so I chose to run the normal reboot and it started up, got the 'has recovered from serious error' window, and the entire resolution of my screen was set up too big. I tried hibernating it again, but a message came up saying

"The device driver for NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation."

And now the computer seems to be acting a bit slow when I scroll the screen up or down.

Help. What does this mean? I'm a complete computer newbie and have no idea how to fix the problem. Any help will be much appreciated.
  2. Cypher2006

Cypher2006 TS Rookie Posts: 64

try downloading the latest compatible drivers for your graphics card from here:

find the latest one thats compatible and install it, dnt forget to uninstall your old drivers first i presume you are using windows XP thats where the link was from the options said Windows Xp so i hope you are if your not reply and i will find you the right link...hope this helps
  3. Kirei Blossom

Kirei Blossom TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 172

It seemed like the problem had fixed itself, so I didn't do anything.. but now almost the same problem is happening again.. When I hibernated, and then tried to start the system again, it froze midway.. actually, the monitor went completely blank and the light kept flashing on and off. And now when I hibernate, it doesn't let me, saying that its the same problem with the NVIDIA thing.

Plus, right now, the display is quite slow when I scroll the screen up or down or watch video. I don't know which driver to install.. so could you tell me which one I need? I have Windows XP Home Edition and the Display Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400.. help??
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.