Nvidia GT220 problems with Borderlands, Dead Space and others

Hey all

I bought a rig about 3 months ago as a cheap impulse buy and iv been living well enough with it so far. But iv recently decided to chop through some old games such as borderlands, deadspace and the like but the Nvidia GT220 thats in machine seems to really struggle.

Im getting very jerky game play in borderlands with all settings on the lowest with screen res at highest (i play all my games full resolution since im running a full HD 24" wide screen monitor). Dead space 1 isn't so bad but its still jerky, possibly adding to the fun of the game but not appealing all the time.

Details (most of this is just what CPU-ID could find, if you need any more info ill try get it)

CPU - Intel i7 950
CPU speed - 1999.0 MHz
Motherboard - MSI X58M (MS-7593)
RAM - 12gigs DDR3
GPU - Nvidia GT220 2gig
GPU slots - Two 16X PCI-E, one 4xPCI-E and one old PCI
Power supply - ok its got two +12V rails, one is 18A the other 19A
i did have a pic but seems i need to post more on the forums to link one.

Budget for possible upgrades $300-600 Aus, happy to buy off the net

If there's a tweaking solution that would be great but if the better option is to get a new card then im happy to buy a new card that will handle the games as long as they can fit in the case and on the motherboard. it is a small case and unusually small looking motherboard. Iv also still got my old 9800GT which i had two of in SLI on my old computer, dunno if its worth swapping the GT220 for the 9800 given that my old set up played both games and others no problem.

As and added note i run dual monitors, however iv turned the duel monitor setting off to see if it improved the game play. it didn't.

I would switch back to the 9800GT, the GT220 is quite a low spec card. Nvidia is known to re badge cards, and from memory the 8800GT, 9800GT and even the GTS250 where based off the same architecture just with minor improvements. For a upgrade card I would chose either a GTX 560 or Radeon 6950, pccasegear.com.au has some brands both at $299, they should last a couple more years. Also you will need a new Power supply, go for a nice 850W like the corsair HX range which has 70A on the +12v rail. most high end cards need atleast 40Amps or more and minimum of 550W.

I hope this helped abit.

Thanks R3DP3NGUIN for the reply, least i now know what i can get as upgrades for that budget. The follow up question i guess is, is it worth spending the $600ish given that the motherboard is rather restricting? Some research iv done into the motherboard indicated it was already out of production when i bought it, i know technology is moving fast as hell but scrapping it when the chipset is it relatively new isn't the best reference imo. Iv given thought to possibly selling this computer off in about 3-6months depending on money and building a new monster from scratch this time.

that MB is fine and i would get at least an AMD 6870 if your wanting good frame rates also what resolution do you play at that will help with the choosing of a card.

"8800GT, 9800GT and even the GTS250 where based off the same architecture just with minor improvements." the gts 250 is a re-badged 9800 GTX+ and is a lot faster than a 9800 GT

Your GeForce 220 is bottlenecking your system big time. You have powerful CPU and your not getting all the FPS with that cheap 220. Grab a GeForce 460 1GB and I promise youll get your 60fps.

You have good rig, but video card is bottlenecking it big time.

just grabbing a gtx 460 wont give 60fps in all games like i suggested the 6870 is probably the least powerful video card i would consider for what he is spending and it would be a little more future proof. That being said there is nothing wrong with a gtx 460 at all i am merely stating my opinion since he has some money to spend. Also consider the gtx 560 Ti as it is a great card.

That GT 220 is only 128 bit ..Memory Bandwidth is (GB/sec) 25.3 .. that 9800 is 256bit Memory Width.. Memory Bandwidth is (GB/sec) 57.6 .. More is Always better in that department.That's why you get jerkiness in game(laggy feeling)..Like other's said it is based off the 8800 series gpu.. (g92) I think. 220 base off 8500 series (128 bit).

Back