Nvidia GTS 240 in SLI or one Nvidia GTX 285?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peking Duck

im needing help with this choice because choosing the sli cards saves me 250 dollars but im not sure how they will perforem for my needs. im looking to do moderate gaming on my computer i dnt need crysis in max settings but i would like most games to be playable on at a medium to high settings and want to know if the sli 240gts would get this done?? thanks in advanced!

Hi Fly_Guy.

I don't really get what you're saying. First off, I'm not aware of any GTS 240 card that is available for retail sale. They are supposedly only meant for pre-built machines. Moreover, even if you're talking about purchasing 2 GTS 250 cards, they would cost you about $270. And the GTX 285 would be about $100 more. So it isn't saving you $250 over the GTX 285.

Give us your budget and we'll be able to suggest a few graphics cards for you. If your budget is around the $200 mark then go for the HD 4890 as HK says. If you're willing to spend a little more, get the HD 5850 as its only slightly more expensive than the GTX 275 and is a much better performer.

i agree with rit go with the 5850 it will kill 2 gts 250s in sli and its around the same price. im getting 2 of them for crossfire when i build my new rig :) also read the review on techspot of the 5850 its $259 and outperforms the gtx 285 in every game and ati hasnt even had time to polish there drivers up this thing will get only faster with new drivers the GTX285 uses more power costs more and just isnt worth the purchase. IMO the gtx 285 would have to cost around $200 to be worth a purchase now that the 5850 is out :)

it is for a pre built machine i found a good dell deal online ive been outta the loop asfar as video cards for a few years now considering i was wondering what happened to the awesome 8000nvidia cards lmao and i def dont have time to build my own rig at the moment so i just wanted opinions on which one to go with if i got the pre built machine.

What's your budget? Does the pre-built come with SLI? Could you post a link to the 2 systems you are considering?

im aiming for around 1200 and yes the pre built comes with SLI its the xps 630 from dell. getting the SLI 240s gets me to about what im aiming for but like i said i have no idea if itll get me descent gaming even at medium settings for games so if its really necessary i can stretch and maybe get the 285gtx if the 240gts is really that bad?

$1200? You'll be able to build a beast of a system at that price point! :D

And trust me you won't take much time building it. Just give it a day. :)

If you're looking for a pre-built and definitely don't want to build one yourself then go with this PC instead. The Dell is far too overpriced IMO.

$1200? You'll be able to build a beast of a system at that price point!

And trust me you won't take much time building it. Just give it a day.
Well worth the sleepless nights, even if your busy i'll say.

yea i guess just the only problem is ive been outta the pc thing for a good three years like i said earlier the most up to date knowledge i have is about three years old ranging from cpu's to video cards so itd b hard to get back into it think to build a beat rig on my own

yea i guess just the only problem is ive been outta the pc thing for a good three years like i said earlier the most up to date knowledge i have is about three years old ranging from cpu's to video cards so itd b hard to get back into it think to build a beat rig on my own
Because asking for help on choosing parts for a new prebuilt system and asking help choosing parts for a new system is, on principle, different.
I'd just like to say that :).

lol thats why were here and its no different building a system now than it was 3 years ago just better parts is all and we can suggest all the stuff you need :)

Having multi gpu configurations.

Considering just the price difference between two of a particular gpu and another single gpu is pointless. If you are having two or more of a particular gpu in sli or crossfire, then you are also paying far extra for the m/b with dual or more pciex 16x slots, and extra for the cpu and not the least, the smps. So they also count. Two of a particular gpu may be priced lesser than another card, but no one considers that if we have at least one extra card above one, we'll have to pay way extra for these components.

why resurrect a 3 week old post but we know what we are talking about most of the guys on this site do nothing but build computers all the time.

most of the guys on this site do nothing but build computers all the time

LOL! I know.

@ swarnendu - Do read the date on which the last post was made before posting. The OP has not responded since.
Anyway, single PCI-E motherboards don't really come too much cheaper than those with 2. Today most mobos available usually come with 2 slots. And at the OP's budget there's no harm in getting a good mobo and PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back