Nvidia intros second-gen 3D Vision glasses and displays

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nvidia has overhauled its 3D Vision package, introducing refined glasses and displays that let you see more of the stuff you want to and less of the stuff you don't. The updated spectacles have 20% larger lenses that offer a broader viewing area, while the frame around the eyes is better at blocking external light, which some folks complained about with Nvidia's first-gen product. Additionally, the frame is designed with a thinner, more flexible composite material so it should be more comfortable to wear -- especially with headphones.

To complement those changes, Nvidia has announced a patented technology dubbed "3D LightBoost," which enables brighter screens and environment lighting. The company claims its new display technology offers up to double the brightness of existing 3D monitors, along with improved color quality and less 3D ghosting. Asus' $699 VG278H will be the first LightBoost-equipped screen to hit shelves and it features a 27-inch 1080p panel, a 120Hz refresh rate, a 2ms response time, as well as HDMI 1.4 and dual-link DVI inputs.

Acer and BenQ also have LightBoost-ready displays in the pipeline, while Toshiba is preparing roughly half a dozen 3D Vision-ready notebooks across its Satellite, Dynabook and Qosmio lines. Nvidia's second-gen 3D Vision tech will be available this month in a $149 kit that includes two pairs of glasses and a wireless USB IR emitter. Individual glasses will be $99. It's worth noting that first-gen glasses will support LightBoost with a driver update, though you'll still need a new display and they tend to come with glasses anyhow.

Permalink to story.

I fail to see the appeal of wearing glasses just to get some 3D effect. Untill they make it so i don't have to wear glasses, or i can move stuff on my desktop in 3D, i won't be interested. (yes i understand that these are ment for gameing, i game.)

You my friend need to try Nintendo 3Ds and Ocarina of Time 3D,unbelievable,3D glasses free the future is began,nvidia is still in the past..

play batman arkham asylum with 3d vision and you will see why it is so incredible.

Guest said:
You my friend need to try Nintendo 3Ds and Ocarina of Time 3D,unbelievable,3D glasses free the future is began,nvidia is still in the past..

Its really not, the 3DS is crap. Sure the effect is there but god the eye strain is unbelieveable!
No wonder why most people who bought on from day one took it back.

HAHA not,play ocarina 3D,that is 3D! best game ever made and yet in 3D,without that funny glasses,and with mario3d land in november and mario kart in december,must buy

Guest said:
HAHA not,play ocarina 3D,that is 3D! best game ever made and yet in 3D,without that funny glasses,and with mario3d land in november and mario kart in december,must buy

I have, and I don't disagree with you, it is very much in 3D and it very much looks "cool".
BUT, after playing anything on the 3DS for long that 30 minutes your eyes litterally feel like they are going to fall out there sockets from strain!

120hz panels are nice but if your PC can lock games at 60FPS it's not that much on an improvement. I went from a 23" Acer 1080p 120hz to a U3011 and I'll never go back to 1080p, just to small of a resolution for PC gaming/multitasking for me now.

It is not clear for me and I cannot understand from article: do I need a nvidia card or not? Or is it enough to buy the VG278H and a pair of glasses?

Back