TechSpot

Nvidia pushes out low-cost DX10.1 GeForce GT240

By Justin
Nov 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nvidia has launched a new low-cost ($100 or less) DX10.1 video card, the GeForce GT240. Built on a 40nm process and featuring a 550MHz GPU, 1GHz GDDR3 or 1.7GHz GDDR5 and up to 1GB of memory, it has all the basic workings of a robust card. It's also DirectX 10.1 compliant, has 96 CUDA cores, 8 ROP units and a max TDP of 70W.

Read the whole story

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,897   +88

an odd release to be sure, the timing of it is strange as well.

3. Waiting impatiently for the review. Since its too much of a weird release from Nvidia, I wouldn't be surprised if the card happens to surprise us with some "above-expected" performance. Or is it just a simply hasty and meaningless move from Nvidia?

4. zaidpirwani

zaidpirwani TS Rookie Posts: 74

Hey, I don't want to spend my below 100$ just to get a very entry level card, if I am gonna spend my money, then I will spend at least a 200 and get myself a decent rig....

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 582   +32

Okay Nvidia, now we're just waiting for the next high end enthusuast level gpu. Stop teasing us.

6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 978   +31

From the reviews I've seen, it's slower than the 9600 in some games and faster in others (possibly because of its DX10.1 support).

All in all, doesn't seem like a good buy currently, but I imagine that the idea is to phase out the 9x00 family completely. Possibly NVIDIA intends to leave us with just DX11 and DX10.1 cards in a few month's time.

7. pomonasi

pomonasi TS Rookie Posts: 32

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

8. pomonasi

pomonasi TS Rookie Posts: 32

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

9. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

From the review I read of this, which was an overclocked GDDR5 version, it consistently performed worse than the HD 4770, which was really disappointing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.