Nvidia pushes out low-cost DX10.1 GeForce GT240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Nvidia has launched a new low-cost ($100 or less) DX10.1 video card, the GeForce GT240. Built on a 40nm process and featuring a 550MHz GPU, 1GHz GDDR3 or 1.7GHz GDDR5 and up to 1GB of memory, it has all the basic workings of a robust card. It's also DirectX 10.1 compliant, has 96 CUDA cores, 8 ROP units and a max TDP of 70W.

Though the card does have a nice selling price, there are some obvious drawbacks. It won't stand up to a lot of other sub-$100 video cards from previous generations, and will definitely fall short of mid-level cards from this generation. No doubt, Nvidia's goal with the GT240 was to get an entry-level DX10.1 card out the door, hoping to fill any gaps in their 2xx series lineup that AMD might target.

Nvidia may be putting this card directly up against the HD 4650, a notable entry from AMD that typically falls well below the $100 mark. Is Nvidia feeling pressure from AMD, or was this just a casual response to get more hardware in the low-cost arena? We will have a full review on the GeForce GT240 soon.

Permalink to story.

Waiting impatiently for the review. Since its too much of a weird release from Nvidia, I wouldn't be surprised if the card happens to surprise us with some "above-expected" performance. Or is it just a simply hasty and meaningless move from Nvidia?

Hey, I don't want to spend my below 100$ just to get a very entry level card, if I am gonna spend my money, then I will spend at least a 200 and get myself a decent rig....

Okay Nvidia, now we're just waiting for the next high end enthusuast level gpu. Stop teasing us.

From the reviews I've seen, it's slower than the 9600 in some games and faster in others (possibly because of its DX10.1 support).

All in all, doesn't seem like a good buy currently, but I imagine that the idea is to phase out the 9x00 family completely. Possibly NVIDIA intends to leave us with just DX11 and DX10.1 cards in a few month's time.

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

From the review I read of this, which was an overclocked GDDR5 version, it consistently performed worse than the HD 4770, which was really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back