TechSpot

Nvidia pushes out low-cost DX10.1 GeForce GT240

By Justin
Nov 17, 2009
  1. Nvidia has launched a new low-cost ($100 or less) DX10.1 video card, the GeForce GT240. Built on a 40nm process and featuring a 550MHz GPU, 1GHz GDDR3 or 1.7GHz GDDR5 and up to 1GB of memory, it has all the basic workings of a robust card. It's also DirectX 10.1 compliant, has 96 CUDA cores, 8 ROP units and a max TDP of 70W.

Read the whole story

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

an odd release to be sure, the timing of it is strange as well.

3. Waiting impatiently for the review. Since its too much of a weird release from Nvidia, I wouldn't be surprised if the card happens to surprise us with some "above-expected" performance. Or is it just a simply hasty and meaningless move from Nvidia?

4. zaidpirwani

zaidpirwani TS Rookie Posts: 74

Hey, I don't want to spend my below 100$ just to get a very entry level card, if I am gonna spend my money, then I will spend at least a 200 and get myself a decent rig....

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 624   +53

Okay Nvidia, now we're just waiting for the next high end enthusuast level gpu. Stop teasing us.

6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,149   +66

From the reviews I've seen, it's slower than the 9600 in some games and faster in others (possibly because of its DX10.1 support).

All in all, doesn't seem like a good buy currently, but I imagine that the idea is to phase out the 9x00 family completely. Possibly NVIDIA intends to leave us with just DX11 and DX10.1 cards in a few month's time.

7. pomonasi

pomonasi TS Rookie Posts: 32

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

8. pomonasi

pomonasi TS Rookie Posts: 32

cant wait to read the performance on this card. especially, i would like to see this matched up against similarly priced cards from ATI like 4770 & 4850.

9. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

From the review I read of this, which was an overclocked GDDR5 version, it consistently performed worse than the HD 4770, which was really disappointing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.