Nvidia rebrands Fermi-based cards into budget 600-series

Jos

Nvidia has quietly released three “new” budget GPUs as part of its latest and greatest 600-series — all of them, however, are based on the last-generation Fermi architecture. The GeForce GT 610, 620, and 630 are essentially rebranded and slightly tweaked versions of the GT 520, GT 530 and GT 440, respectively.

The GT 610 is based on the 40nm GF119 GPU with 48 CUDA cores, with its core clocked bumped to 810MHz. It will feature 1GB of DDR3 memory clocked at 1.8GHz and paired up with a 64-bit memory interface. The GT 620 and GT 630 are both based on the 40nm GF108 GPU with 96 CUDA cores, clocked at 700MHz and 810MHz, respectively. The latter uses a more respectable 128 bit memory bus and will be paired up with either 1.8GHz DDR3 or 3.2GHz GDDR5 memory, depending on the SKU.

Interestingly, adding to the rebranding confusion, Nvidia has an OEM version of the GeForce GT 630 which is actually based on a 28nm Kepler GPU. Engadget asked Nvidia about this odd move and was told that the company simply numbers its products according to raw performance, rather than newness or chip type.

There’s no word on pricing yet but it’ll probably be the same as the models they are replacing.

Permalink to story.

I wish they'd make their model line-up easier to understand! I've found it particularly annoying when looking at new laptops, I know I want a GT650 at the very least but I have no way of knowing if manufacturers are opting for the DDR3 or DDR5 versions!!

Back