Nvidia shows Doom Eternal running on an RTX 3080 at 4K with max graphics settings

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: As you’d expect, the new RTX 3080 thoroughly trounces its predecessor. Rarely does the setup dip below 100 frames per second. If you’ve never experienced Doom Eternal at this level of graphics fidelity, you’re in for a real treat. Just be sure that the YouTube quality settings are maxed out for the most accurate portrayal.

Nvidia earlier this week took the wraps off its Ampere-based RTX 3000 series GPUs and now, we’re getting a closer look at what the flagship RTX 3080 is capable of in a modern first-person shooter.

The video, shared on the Nvidia GeForce YouTube channel, shows Doom Eternal running on both a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and an RTX 3080. In both cases, the game is running at 4K resolution with max graphics settings.

Thoughtfully, an FPS counter is also on display so we can see just what sort of performance each card is capable of.

In related news, Digital Foundry recently published an early look at the RTX 3080. They weren’t allowed to share any actual frame rates but they did highlight the performance differential between the RTX 3080 and a Founders Edition 2080 with a 90 MHz factory overclock.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

With the performance comparisons, are they using DLSS? There was something in the past few months where it was stated that Nvidia was pushing reviewers to use DLSS while doing benchmarks but it was just a rumour though.
In my opinion, wait for third-party reviewers to do their reviews before purchasing (I.e. reviewers that are not being sponsored by Nvidia to do reviews). I would be extremely surprised if the performance wasn't as good as stated but nebulous performance numbers are very hand-wavy in my opinion without the hard numbers being stated (e.g. actual FPS and frame times). It wouldn't be the first time that increasing the number of execution cores in a GPU didn't result in increasing the performance by a similar number...

Good engine is good. Not to say it's unimpressive, but my gtx 1080 can handle max settings at 2k without dipping below 60 so I'd say the engine in this example is more impressive than the hardware.
From memory when I played this with the 2080ti my options were 4K 60 or 1440p 120. I think that I didn't play it much at 4K means it didn't approach 100 fps, and I do seem to remember it wasn't a rock solid 120 at 1440p. So if this is without DLSS, and if my memory is correct, it seems a very decent step forward and good enough for me to forget about the 3090. I tried watching that video on my phone but the FPS counter is too small to be useful.

I feel like 3090 won't be worth it over the 3080. 20GB aib 3080 might be the best choice especially if you only have 60Hz 4K or 144Hz 1440p display

I am gonna probably buy the Kingpin 3090 because it includes the AIO.

It'll be worth it just for my Youtube videos to simply be able to run new games on it for the views.

After 4 or 5 videos it pays for itself.

1 video paid my 2080Ti cost.

#1 You do an unboxing video.
#2 You do an installation video.
#3 You do a few game runs: MSFS 2020, Crysis Remastered, etc.
#4 I'll make a comparison against the 3080.

I feel like 3090 won't be worth it over the 3080. 20GB aib 3080 might be the best choice especially if you only have 60Hz 4K or 144Hz 1440p display
I have a feeling the 3090 is not specifically meant for gamers, but more for commercial workstations.
Which has me wondering where it stands beside a Quatro...

Nvidia should have showed us how it performs in MS Flight Simulator 2020 instead.

Anyway, nice cherry picking for showing off by Nvidia.

It'll be worth it just for my Youtube videos to simply be able to run new games on it for the views.

What IS your YouTube channel?

You must have a big youtube channel if one video paid for a 2080Ti which is like $1,300 right?
Most people put 4 ads in their youtube videos so I guess to make that much money you would have to get at least 25k views
Can you verify that you aren't lying by just simply putting a link to your channel?

You must have a big youtube channel if one video paid for a 2080Ti which is like $1,300 right?
Most people put 4 ads in their youtube videos so I guess to make that much money you would have to get at least 25k views
Can you verify that you aren't lying by just simply putting a link to your channel?

I have over 70,000 subs and over 41,468,000 views.

I don't want to post a link because Techspot might delete it and call it off topic.

I have a feeling the 3090 is not specifically meant for gamers, but more for commercial workstations.
Which has me wondering where it stands beside a Quatro...
Did you watch the video reveal?
The 3090 is a Titan replacement for the content creators that stream and game as well as the machinima crowd.
Quadros are for commercial workstations, Titans are for amateurs and small business.

Did you watch the video reveal?
The 3090 is a Titan replacement for the content creators that stream and game as well as the machinima crowd.
Quadros are for commercial workstations, Titans are for amateurs and small business.
Sorry, "mainstream/normal/non-streaming" gamers, if you really don't want to look into what I implied.

Content creators are making content in a commercial sense, and I still want to know how it fairs against a $3000+ beast like the Quatro. Nothing changes about my comment.

Sorry, "mainstream/normal/non-streaming" gamers, if you really don't want to look into what I implied.

Content creators are making content in a commercial sense, and I still want to know how it fairs against a $3000+ beast like the Quatro. Nothing changes about my comment.
That's like calling small business an enterprise.......

"Doom Eternal is no match for the RTX 3080"

Actually, it's a very good match - all the way through 4K.

Why don't you get the "FE" one and put block on it yourself? I'm still waiting for AMD's movie but I'm pretty sure I will end up with the 3080 + full cover block for it from EKWB. I game at 60Hz and 4K that will be perfect for it

Why don't you get the "FE" one and put block on it yourself? I'm still waiting for AMD's movie but I'm pretty sure I will end up with the 3080 + full cover block for it from EKWB. I game at 60Hz and 4K that will be perfect for it

I prefer to have a factory warranty.

Back