Nvidia wants to see proof that A5X is four times faster than Tegra 3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During Apple’s media event yesterday to unveil the new iPad, Cupertino claimed that the A5X chip inside their latest tablet was twice as fast as the Apple A5 and four times as powerful as Nvidia’s Tegra 3 processor in terms of graphics performance. Nvidia, however, isn’t drinking the Apple flavored Kool-Aid without first seeing some proof.

Nvidia spokesperson Ken Brown noted that while it was “certainly flattering” that Apple called out the Tegra 3 during their press event, the figures are essentially lifeless without benchmarks to back them up.

“We don’t have the benchmark information,” Brown said. “We have to understand what the application was that was used. Was it one or a variety of applications? What drivers were used? There are so many issues to get into with benchmark.”

nvidia tells apple prove a5x performance claims apple nvidia tegra 3 a5x

It’s unlikely that Apple will release any further information to back up their claims. Instead, most will have to wait until late next week when tech sites release their reviews complete with comparisons between the two.

In the meantime, we can compare the A5 chip found in the iPad 2 with the Tegra 3 from ASUS’ Transformer Prime. When speaking solely on graphics performance, the iPad 2 did beat out the Transformer Prime in SlashGear’s GLBenchmark 2.1. AnandTech ran a similar story in December that compared the same tablets. In every test, the iPad 2 came out on top; sometimes by a pretty large margin, other times by just a few frames per second.

Based on the fact that the A5 has been proven to be faster (by how much, is debatable), there’s no doubt in our minds that the A5X will push the next iPad even higher in comparison benchmarks against the Tegra 3. But, four times as fast… we’ll have to wait and see if that proves to be true.

Permalink to story.

As a owner of the Asus Prime, lets start off with...Flash, higher MP camera, thinner, has HDMI out, mico SD slot, has a dock that give you keyboard and mouse, bigger screen. I dont understand how stupid Apple fanboys still feed into the BS the company passes off. Why do people waste on 3G or LTE when you can teather, or Apple TV now supports 1080p...really this is what there pushing lol

I own a iphone and like it and thats it far as I go, well untill the iphone 5 comes out if it does and they try to pawn another crap feature. Then I'll be moving on.

Well accordxtc... it's because Apple believes (because of a Microsoft marketing study from way back when) that features don't sell a product. They believe product sales are driven by changing the way we do things, like listen to music or surf the net. It's why Steve always sat on the couch and used his iPad instead of talking about it. To get the reaction 'Dude.... that guy is soooo trendy!'

I'm in your boat, and I'll never buy an Apple product until their iPods have FM radios (cuts into iTunes sales), or the phones have SD (cuts into the tiered pricing), 4G (iPhone users can't be tethered to a charger!) and removable batteries (why pay to replace the battery when you can replace the whole phone?).

Anyway... as soon as a review comes out and shows graphics aren't 4 times better we can expect a response from Apple something like, 'You're holding it the wrong way.'

The iPods have FM radios now MM.

Often people on anti-Apple rants get a little 'mission-creep' in their message. I had a bigger post wrote out and my beloved Opera browser took a dump :(

It still amaze me how Apple can take the Ipad 2, upgrade some components inside it (they dont do anything, they just use the latest hardware develop by third parties) and create a buzz that every fanboy out there will rush to spend 600$+ to get a new device with some upgrade. The new Ipad does not bring anything new!!!! Come on, 4g and LTE are on a lots of phone and tablet already, 5mp camera are old, new phone have 8mp+ camera already. New screen resolution, ok this is new but does it make such a difference for the price? What else, ah yes a new cpu that Apple claim to be 4x faster then tegra3 with no proof. Apple is so rich because of all the fanboy out there that are way too rich and spend money on toys. When was the last time Apple actually did something new and amazing? A few years ago Apple was on top, now they just make money.

Guest:
The A5 chip is Apple's, its not an 'off the shelf' part you can buy anywhere.
Its not $600+, base model is $499. (this is the mission creep I spoke of above)
Megapixels aren't everything, the optics matter too. I'm sure there will be sites with comparison photos.
What difference in price? Compared to what?
I'm sure its 4x faster in some specific senario, its not unheard of for a manufacturer to claim some amount faster than a competitor - usually its a specific senario.
Apple doesn't do something 'new and amazing', they take something that exists and make it look good and easy to use. If you don't want to accept it, thats fine, but the rest of the industry has been trying to copy, since the iPod, whatever Apple does.

Remember, first and foremost, Apple is an excellent marketing firm. Secondly, they're a manufacturing firm.

reason why I'm hating apple right now:

Client wants an Adroid and Apple App.

Android: Install Eclipse and Android SDK, pay $25 for market account, upload APK and app is online within 10 minutes. DONE!

iPhone: Had to buy a cheap iBook for dev, figured out the OS was too old, got Snow Leopard, figured out it needs an intel processor, so had to install VMware on my machine, create the vm image of snow, update it, update it some more, install xcode, pay $99 to send in my app for approval, wait, then it get's accepted.. only I'm still wasting my time updating Mac OS I haven't even gotten started on xcode yet. so far I've wasted a week on this dam thing. Congrats Apple.

iPods have radios? Thanks :) They should advertise that... i just bought a Sansa Clip (which is awesome btw)

The A5 chip is made by samsung. :) this Guest is just trolling.... I know some people wait in line for these things, but anyone who owns an iPad2 and drops $600 before reviews are available is a *****.

4G is new for Apple. this is their first 4G device and depending on your city, it's a huge upgrade in speed over 3G. Sure, the graphics probably won't be 4 times faster, but its' not going to be slow. This will still be the best tablet available for a while.

I'm waitin on battery life numbers. I know the thing is fatter and probably has a much bigger battery than the iPad2. More pixels, more processing, and 4G usually means buy a car charger if you plan on leaving the house.

Android: Install Eclipse and Android SDK, pay $25 for market account, upload APK and app is online within 10 minutes. DONE!

iPhone: Had to buy a cheap iBook for dev, figured out the OS was too old, got Snow Leopard, figured out it needs an intel processor, so had to install VMware on my machine, create the vm image of snow, update it, update it some more, install xcode, pay $99 to send in my app for approval, wait, then it get's accepted.. only I'm still wasting my time updating Mac OS I haven't even gotten started on xcode yet. so far I've wasted a week on this dam thing. Congrats Apple.

I don't see why this is the fault of Apple instead of you... You didn't do any preliminary research into what is needed and instead bought a notebook. Once you figured out that was too old, you bought an OS for a newer Mac without thinking to check why the iBook was too old? I mean, I can understand if it was in the PC world where you can run just about any MS OS on old hardware, its just slow. But you recognized that the iBook was too old - that has to trigger something, surely if it was just slow you could have gotten by - after all you did buy an iBook (something that hasn't been made since 2006?

I not trying to be a **** here, seriously I'm not, but what you went through isn't Apple's fault.

SNGX1275 said:

I don't see why this is the fault of Apple instead of you... You didn't do any preliminary research into what is needed and instead bought a notebook. Once you figured out that was too old, you bought an OS for a newer Mac without thinking to check why the iBook was too old? I mean, I can understand if it was in the PC world where you can run just about any MS OS on old hardware, its just slow. But you recognized that the iBook was too old - that has to trigger something, surely if it was just slow you could have gotten by - after all you did buy an iBook (something that hasn't been made since 2006?

I not trying to be a **** here, seriously I'm not, but what you went through isn't Apple's fault.

Yes, it is Apple's fault. They made the OS, they choose the hardware. However, Apple does have a track record of choosing horrible hardware.

"iPods have radios? Thanks They should advertise that... i just bought a Sansa Clip (which is awesome btw)"

Where? I have the latest IPod and if you mean radio that needs Wifi connection that is not a radio.

Yes, it is Apple's fault. They made the OS, they choose the hardware. However, Apple does have a track record of choosing horrible hardware.

How is it Apple's fault you can't develop for an iPhone/iPad on a 6+ year old system that runs on a processor architecture they haven't used in 6 years and haven't supported since Leopard (10.5, they are now on 10.7). Its 100% the fault of a programmer that doesn't understand the system he's programming on. He could have at least done a cursory google search and found how to run xcode in a VM on a Windows system.

To the horrible hardware really? Until the late G5s every PowerPC processor was competitive if not better than the Intel offering at the same time*. Apple uses quality displays. Not sure what else could be bad. Maybe you are referring to the 68 series processors before the PowerPC? Those were fine processors for the time and the transition to PowerPC went pretty smoothly, and I think the transition to Intel processors went pretty smoothly too.

As far as the iPods and radios. Maybe the others don't, I don't know because I don't own them. But I know my 5th? generation nano does.

*G3, G4 and Altivec, G5 (3 different links)

I don't own either (ianything or a tegra 3 device) but 4x better sounds WAY to good to be true.

SNGX1275 said:

How is it Apple's fault you can't develop for an iPhone/iPad on a 6+ year old system that runs on a processor architecture they haven't used in 6 years and haven't supported since Leopard (10.5, they are now on 10.7). Its 100% the fault of a programmer that doesn't understand the system he's programming on. He could have at least done a cursory google search and found how to run xcode in a VM on a Windows system.

To the horrible hardware really? Until the late G5s every PowerPC processor was competitive if not better than the Intel offering at the same time*. Apple uses quality displays. Not sure what else could be bad. Maybe you are referring to the 68 series processors before the PowerPC? Those were fine processors for the time and the transition to PowerPC went pretty smoothly, and I think the transition to Intel processors went pretty smoothly too.

As far as the iPods and radios. Maybe the others don't, I don't know because I don't own them. But I know my 5th? generation nano does.

*G3, G4 and Altivec, G5 (3 different links)

"I" did not choose the laptop, my boss did, he found an article on system requirements for xcode.. unfortunately it was from 2009. i at least put the snow leopard update to use making my vmware image. The point is, even after it's set up compared to Google i still have to waste a lot of time and more money into an app. $25 compared to $99. and a week of approval time compared to 10 minutes on android.

It doesnt matter, Apple is the BEST and I will pay any amount, and i mean any amount. Even if it means buying a new one every month for those slight upgrades, but so worth it and you might ask why cause its APPLE of course.

"I" did not choose the laptop, my boss did, he found an article on system requirements for xcode.. unfortunately it was from 2009. i at least put the snow leopard update to use making my vmware image. The point is, even after it's set up compared to Google i still have to waste a lot of time and more money into an app. $25 compared to $99. and a week of approval time compared to 10 minutes on android.

Well, then its a failure of your boss and maybe you. Whomever's fault it is it isn't Apple's. The cheaper entry and instant approval to the android market has its price in the form of malicious apps.

It doesnt matter, Apple is the BEST and I will pay any amount, and i mean any amount. Even if it means buying a new one every month for those slight upgrades, but so worth it and you might ask why cause its APPLE of course.

Obvious troll is obvious.
0/10

I'm also looking forward to a more indepth review of the two technologies, becasue it is kind of crazy just flat out stating something is better in performance when the proof is not provided... and context too. And to some degree it may not even matter becasue the formfactor is frozen and we still have only begun to push these devices within their formfactors and battery limitations.

"iPods have radios? Thanks They should advertise that... i just bought a Sansa Clip (which is awesome btw)"

Where? I have the latest IPod and if you mean radio that needs Wifi connection that is not a radio.

Ipod Nano has a built in radio tuner, not through Wifi. It's a bummer, I was going to buy my mother the touch but found out it didn't have a tuner so I got her the nano after reading the box. She liked the smaller package anyways.

Guest said:
Remember, first and foremost, Apple is an excellent marketing firm. Secondly, they're a manufacturing firm.

Apple doesn't manufacture anything. They design their devices, and other companies manufacture them.

Just like nVIDIA, they are a software company first and foremost.

hahahanoobs said:

Apple doesn't manufacture anything. They design their devices, and other companies manufacture them.

Just like nVIDIA, they are a design company first and foremost.

Fixed that for you.

Back