Nvidia's profits up 74% in third quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nvidia has reported a 74% rise in profit for the third quarter of fiscal 2010, which ended October 25. During the recently closed quarter, Nvidia posted revenue of $903.2 million, a 16% increase on quarter and up slightly from a year ago. Net income for the third quarter was $107.6 million ($.19 per diluted share), which compares to last year's net income of $61.7 million ($.11 per diluted share).

Nvidia president and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said the company "continued to make progress in the third quarter with healthy market demand across the board," and noted that enthusiasm has grown for Nvidia's Tesla platform in the server and cloud-computing markets. In the fourth quarter, Nvidia expects revenue to increase by 2% from the third quarter, with a gross margin of 40 to 42% and operating expenses around $305 million.

Catch a full list of Nvidia's fiscal third quarter highlights after the jump.

Nvidia's third quarter fiscal 2010 and recent highlights:

• First major Tegra™ devices shipped: Microsoft’s Zune HD and the Samsung M1.
  • Held first ever GPU Technology Conference, which was 50% oversubscribed, with 1,500 attendees from 40 countries. More than 200 technical sessions were conducted, and presentations were made by 60 emerging companies that utilize the graphics processing unit (GPU).
  • Introduced the next generation CUDA™ GPU architecture, codenamed "Fermi." The Fermi architecture is the foundation for the world’s first computational GPUs, delivering breakthroughs in both graphics and parallel computing.
  • Oak Ridge National Laboratory announced plans to use Fermi to build a new supercomputer, which is designed to be the world’s fastest.
  • Launched the industry’s first development environment for massively parallel computing. The tool, code-named "Nexus", is integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio, so that developers will be able to use Visual Studio and C++ to write applications that leverage Fermi GPUs.
  • Launched NVIDIA® RealityServer®, a powerful combination of GPUs and software that streams interactive, photorealistic 3D applications to any web connected PC, laptop, netbook or smart phone.
  • Adobe’s new Flash Player 10.1 will be accelerated by GeForce®, NVIDIA ION™ and Tegra™ products, helping to bring uncompromised browsing of rich Web content to netbooks, smartphones and smartbooks.

Permalink to story.

Whooo!!! Go Go NVidia (fanboy). Its good to see computer chip makers surviving, and in this case thriving. The market has been tough for the past year-ish. Lots of R&D and jobs involved.

I love nVidia.
I will never buy a Radeon,
I suppose there will be somebody here who will say the opposite...
I don't care, I am happy with my nVidia cards... :)

Does ATI have anything similar?
I mean Flash acceleration with GPUs seems like a huge breakthrough to me...
ATI must have a deal of its own with Adobe am I right?

Don't know about the Adobe-ATI connection but not having flash/gpu support pisses me off. I have a 3ghz p4 and a 9600gt and 15mbps high speed and flash stutters! Absouletly no reason for that. One way or another the problem will be corrected in the next couple of months (on my end or theirs). And it is very good to see nvidia thriving so long as they have some good competition to keep them on their toes. And so far i'm still a fan of nvidia. The last ATI card I had gave me nothing but grief.

No doubt the nvidia fanboys are jumping around in joy knowing that their loyalty is producing a big grin on the shareholders faces :)

Nirkon said:
Does ATI have anything similar?
I mean Flash acceleration with GPUs seems like a huge breakthrough to me...
ATI must have a deal of its own with Adobe am I right?

Ati also supports it, but at the moments it's only for the dx11 cards. In time Adobe and Ati will make it so that it works with older generations too so don't worry.
PS: although i'm an AMD fan i always buy what's best and i only decide based on facts. (lots of research online - from days to weeks)
Good luck with fermi!

Now only if they succeed in making an x86 processor, they will outrun both Intel and AMD in time. I hope that they start to think about the consumer and decrease the prices a little bit, as they are already making a good profit, just lower the price, profit per item will decrease bu the number of items sold will ten-fold, resulting in much more profits for the company and it will be great if timed correctly with the coming black Friday and the holiday and shopping season.....

Wow. 75% is a huge year over year increase. Doing business at this rate is great for the short term but I highly doubt that Nvidia will be able to keep that up over the next year. AMD/ATI has a HUGE lead on the DX11 cards if they are able to secure enough quantities over this quarter to satiate chip demand.

Im not surprised nvidia has always been a product I liked and is always of high quality. As long as Nvidia keeps making cards ill be sticking with them. Increasingly computers are becoming more and more popular and nvidia is the card I always seem to notice they use. My first Nvidia card was the 6800 GT. Oh man those were good days playing COD 1 UO.

Jesus Christ, 75%; that's just a ton of more money, I dunno how they pulled that off with ATI's new cards....

Interesting how they exit the chipset market yet still yield more in revenue..
I thought they said the chipset market accounted for about 30% of revenue?
Anyways it just goes to show how much demand there is in the server market for there GPU's

finally nvidia is making some money. They have been under fire for awhile due to poor chipset and vid cards issue. However, the company really does not have a good track record with their product beign 100% trouble free. Hopefully this good news will help the company with their fermi launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back