Nvidia's RTX 3090 may have outsold the entire Radeon RX 6000 series combined

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: AMD might be taking the fight to Intel in the consumer CPU market, chipping away at its rival's lead ever since the launch of Ryzen, but it hasn't found the same commercial success with its latest graphics cards: there may be more users of Nvidia's expensive RTX 3090 than the entire Radeon RX 6000 series combined.

The revelation comes from July's Steam survey, which collates system information from Steam users who opt to participate. In last month's 'All Video Cards' section, the Radeon RX 6000 series is absent. That's not unusual as the category has never featured RDNA 2, despite the Radeon RX 6800 and Radeon RX 6800 XT releasing in November last year.

But Redditor @zyck_titan discovered that RDNA 2 is tucked away within the survey: in 'Vulkan Systems.' They are missing from the main category because any specific card needs to have at least a 0.15% share to be eligible for the "All Video Cards" section.

"If you compare the shares for Vulkan Systems versus Overall shares listed on [the Steam hardware survey] you'll see that all cards have twice the share under Vulkan Systems. So just divide by two to get the overall share," they wrote.

The Radeon 6800 XT is as popular as the GTX 650 Ti

Using this method, the most popular RDNA 2 card is the Radeon RX 6700 XT with an 0.11% share. It’s followed by the RX 6800 XT (0.10%), the RX 6900 XT (0.08%), and the RX 6800 (0.05%), making a total of 0.34%. Nvidia's Ampere line, which all appear in the main category, has a total share of 3.98%.

Probably the most eye-opening stat here is that every single RTX 3000 series card has a larger market share than AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series combined. Even the flagship RTX 3090, which you'll struggle to find at its MSRP of $1,499, boasts a 0.38% share.

The biggest changes from the 'All video cards' category. It was a good month for Ampere

While the Radeon RX 6000 cards can match Ampere's performance in many respects, the big problem has been availability. AMD GPUs come from TSMC, which has allocated much of its production capacity to the PS5/XBSX consoles. Nvidia, meanwhile, moved from TSMC to Samsung for the consumer RTX 3000 series.

For a look at other areas of the Steam survey, including AMD's CPU rebound and Windows 7's surprising resurgence, check out this article.

Permalink to story.

This article needs to be re-titled or pulled. You can not use a Steam.survey in that manner.

If a Steam survey was required every month, by everyone who logs in.... then you can extract such data. But when it's random and.typically 3 years behind in actual data...?

When is the last time you, or your friend were given a Steam survey...?

AMD fanboys will be in denial and claim Steam HW Survey is useless.

Yet 3DMark Database shows the same result. Tons of Ampere scores has been submitted since release, very few RNDA2 / Radeon 6000 scores.

If you are still in doubt, go to Newegg, Amazon or any big online store and check the bestsellers in the GPU category; Ampere all over.

Radeon 6000 is not "bad" - AMD simply can't deliver and prices are way too high. Not many people will even consider getting an AMD GPU if price is not way lower than Nvidia, and right now, it's not.

Nvidia made a smart decision by going with Samsung for 3000 series. Samsung has been spitting chips out left and right, while AMD has been waiting for TSMC. TSMC has been overbooked and still is. TSMC will always prioritize Apple, their best customer and longtime partner.

Last edited:
I participated at a steam survey recently

Everybody knows that AMD 6XXX cards were a little more than a paper launch until recently
Worse in mining than NVIDIA ones, so of little interest to miners, yet almost nowhere to be found, even at 2x MSRP.

AMD is busy in dominating server market / cpu market and honoring it's deals with console manufacturers, dGPUs are (reasonably) not a priority for them. I honestly wonder why did they even bother launching 6XXX series, they could have waited and launched something better.

There are over 2.69 billion active gamers world wide.
steam only has 62 million active users daily that is not even 2%
How can you calculate world wide stats if it only targets nvidia hot spot locations.
same with AMD none of these numbers are true for the world but only locations selected by them to give them the best results.

Yet 3DMark Database shows the same result. Tons of Ampere scores has been submitted since release, very few RNDA2 / Radeon 6000 scores.
AMD fans are not interested on 3DMArk since it's Nvidia optiomized. Simple. AMD users play games, Nvidia users run useless benchmarks.
If you are still in doubt, go to Newegg, Amazon or any big online store and check the bestsellers in the GPU category; Ampere all over.
Put some sales data then. Amounts?
Radeon 6000 is not "bad" - AMD simply can't deliver and prices are way too high. Not many people will even consider getting an AMD GPU if price is not way lower than Nvidia, and right now, it's not.

Nvidia made a smart decision by going with Samsung for 3000 series. Samsung has been spitting chips out left and right, while AMD has been waiting for TSMC. TSMC has been overbooked and still is. TSMC will always prioritize Apple, their best customer and longtime partner.
AMD sells boards near MSRP. Retail stores decide rest.

TSMC will prioritize Apple for most advanced nodes. Apple hasn't used any 7nm capacity for long time. Just look at Nvidia cards crappy power consumption and you see Samsung was not perhaps best choice. Oh I forgot, power consumption mattered only when Nvidia got it lower than AMD (y) (Y)

I participated at a steam survey recently

Everybody knows that AMD 6XXX cards were a little more than a paper launch until recently
Worse in mining than NVIDIA ones, so of little interest to miners, yet almost nowhere to be found, even at 2x MSRP.
Pretty strange that AMD can deliver millions of these "paper" boards? Right now AMD cards could be grabbed almost everywhere.

Wait until Q2/2021 sales figures come out and explain then what are those GPU's AMD sold millions? 5000-series? That uses same manufacturing process that 6000-series use so claiming AMD decided to make 5000-series instead of 6000-series is simply absurd.
AMD is busy in dominating server market / cpu market and honoring it's deals with console manufacturers, dGPUs are (reasonably) not a priority for them. I honestly wonder why did they even bother launching 6XXX series, they could have waited and launched something better.
Manufacturing figures are decided years before any product is made. Not launch 6000 series? What about development costs? You're out of this world :innocent:

Fact: TSMC is a con job. See the story above for a reference.

Ban TSMC from global trade ASAP and we'll get sensible tech prices as soon as production is up and running elsewhere.

AMD fans are not interested on 3DMArk since it's Nvidia optiomized. Simple. AMD users play games, Nvidia users run useless benchmarks.

Put some sales data then. Amounts?

AMD sells boards near MSRP. Retail stores decide rest.

TSMC will prioritize Apple for most advanced nodes. Apple hasn't used any 7nm capacity for long time. Just look at Nvidia cards crappy power consumption and you see Samsung was not perhaps best choice. Oh I forgot, power consumption mattered only when Nvidia got it lower than AMD (y) (Y)

Pretty strange that AMD can deliver millions of these "paper" boards? Right now AMD cards could be grabbed almost everywhere.

Wait until Q2/2021 sales figures come out and explain then what are those GPU's AMD sold millions? 5000-series? That uses same manufacturing process that 6000-series use so claiming AMD decided to make 5000-series instead of 6000-series is simply absurd.

Manufacturing figures are decided years before any product is made. Not launch 6000 series? What about development costs? You're out of this world :innocent:
3DMark performs fine on AMD GPUs, again you are clueless.

AMD GPU's are overpriced, and people are not paying the asking price, so they simply stock up. Very few people are paying top money for an AMD GPU. AMD GPUs only sell when price/perf is much better than Nvidia. Right now it's not. Nvidia have way more features.

Yeah lets see the power consumption between 3090 and 6900XT; https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/34.html

6900XT spikes at 620 watts, LAST GRAPH. Why? Because clockspeed is pushed to the max. TSMC 7nm efficency goes out the window when clockspeed is pushed.

So yeah, just accept that AMD barely sold any Radeon 6000 GPU's.
Nvidia dominated 2020 and continue to dominate 2021.

AMD did a huge paperlaunch which is why marketshare is trash compared to Ampere. Steam HW Survey shows. 3DMark DB shows. All retailers shows;

Ampere outsold RNDA2 with ease. Just accept it. Its a fact.
Only a hardcore AMD fanboy would deny this :joy:

Now tell me which Radeon card you own.

Key word in my post is until recently.

I don't know if they chose to keep making 5700XT instead of 6000 series but it would make perfect sense, since they were cheaper to make (ready production line and way smaller die size) and crypto miners were willing to pay more for those due to their high eth hash rate

The development costs would have not been a waste if that work was used to launch a better product down the line, when they actually had capacity and the willingness to mass produce it.

I find AMD's product line really strange and inconsistent and I feel like a lot of consumers avoid it because its not immediately obvious what to go for.
(Not talking about enthusiasts like us who spend ungodly hours on tech websites)

Nvidia has consistently used the same naming convention since 2009, x00 is series, 0xx is model number, and 000 xx as a mid-generation improvement, or a small step up, with rare exception the Ti/ Super models always had a base model. Admittedly the Titan line got a bit confusing but were never mainstream cards, and when they introduced Super it wasn't instantly clear whether it was better than Ti model.

AMD have been through like 5 naming conventions in the last 10 years, they had the HD xxxx line, then they went to the Rx xxx line which they occasionally deviated from (Fury etc.), then they had Vega 56/64, then Radeon VII, and now back to RX xxxx series, but the most recent generation mostly have XT on the end without having a base model, way to overcomplicate things.

3DMark performs fine on AMD GPUs, again you are clueless.
I look at history, starting from first 3DMark...
Yeah lets see the power consumption between 3090 and 6900XT; https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/34.html

6900XT spikes at 620 watts, LAST GRAPH. Why? Because clockspeed is pushed to the max. TSMC 7nm efficency goes out the window when clockspeed is pushed.
Congratulations picking only picture where Nvidia doesn't get obliterated :facepalm:

So yeah, just accept that AMD barely sold any Radeon 6000 GPU's.
Nvidia dominated 2020 and continue to dominate 2021.

AMD did a huge paperlaunch which is why marketshare is trash compared to Ampere. Steam HW Survey shows. 3DMark DB shows. All retailers shows;
GPU shipment data does no support that. That's hard fact. I already asked for sales statistics from retailers. Any?

Key word in my post is until recently.
Then what GPU's AMD shipped during first quarter? They shipped a lot. They made huge profit. So...
I don't know if they chose to keep making 5700XT instead of 6000 series but it would make perfect sense, since they were cheaper to make (ready production line and way smaller die size) and crypto miners were willing to pay more for those due to their high eth hash rate
That's possible but I don't recall 5000 series to have good availability vs 6000 series. Bigger profits mostly go for retail stores, not AMD. That way it does not make sense. Smaller die size makes some sense but again, 6000-series had higher MSRP.
The development costs would have not been a waste if that work was used to launch a better product down the line, when they actually had capacity and the willingness to mass produce it.
You mean: AMD has 6000 series ready for production, they decide to abandon it and create "7000" series and until that is ready, they sell 5000-series? That's not how it works. Companies need constant income and that means they will release anything they have ready.

And nVidia fanboys will use this as a baseless ego-booster with the "shove it in your face" attitude, which only makes things worse.

HardReset is right. nVidia fans are generally more interested in benchmarks than playing their games. It's just like PlayStation vs Xbox. PlayStation has more exclusives, and that's what the fanboys brag about, but in general, it was the Xbox that sold more games.

And here's the superiority complex of the green glasses again...

Things are not that simple. AMD GPU prices didn't spike nearly as much as nVidia prices during this recent mining craze. nVidia cards were better at mining than AMD for once, and well, that can factor in the higher sales of the RTX3090 as well. Additionally, AMD shifted production to more CPUs instead, because there are bigger profits there, and they couldn't satisfy demand anyway. It has nothing to do with how 'good' or 'bad' AMD is, or that they "can't deliver". They definitely delivered more than anyone was actually expecting.

LOL at nVidia making a smart decision. They were trying to lower their prices at TSMC and TSMC denied them, so they basically had no choice but to go Samsung. So it was luck that things turned out the way they did, not smart.
nVidia is praised way too much. It's disgusting how loyal people are to a company that basically screws them over every generation.

Oh boy, seems like these type of news really hurt the fragile ego of some of the people here.

So what if Ampere is outselling RDNA2 11 to 1? AMD is still making bank by allocating more capacity to higher margin products such as EPYC and Zen3. Furthermore competing head on with Ampere by making more RDNA2 would just lower AMD's margin, and no investor would like that.

During the week of Cyberpunk release I was able to walk into a Micro Center who had just happened to have over ten 3090 FTW3 delivered.

I had to buy TWO for myself and I was so thankful I was able to do it.

In retrospect, the $1799 I paid for each one which ended up being $1955 …is nothing compared to the satisfaction I get using my computer and knowing that I’m sitting at the top of the performance charts.

Meanwhile AMD cards such as the 6900 XT are right now on those exact same shelves in Micro Center and nobody wants to buy them because the mark ups have put their price at $2299.

The 3080 Ti is overpriced as well but I have never seen one on the store shelves so even though I know it’s overpriced it’s completely inaccessible.

if Micro Center did get 3080 Ti and 3090 in right now, people would be willing to pay the scalper price just to get one.
Ego trip aside.

The part about AMD shelf being full is true. Could walk in right now and get whatever AMD card I wanted. But the 3080 Ti was definitely on the shelf and they still come. 60 Ti has been almost unseen compared to everything else.

Yeah nobody really wants AMD right now.

According to a survey in Sony's Playstation Network, AMD GPUs have outsold NVDIA by 100%
Shows how little you know, the PS3 was powered by Nvidia, sold some 87 million units and is still part of the Playstation Network.

There is a LIKE button for comments but no DISLIKE button?
As much fun as this would be, I have a feeling you'd garnish a whole lot of those dislikes by some of the people on here. Unless you're a masochist, then I guess you'd be totally fine with this.

The same individuals always post the same crap anytime their beloved brand comes under fire, just easier to ignore them or skip past their nonsensical outburst, it's truly getting sad to think they believe anyone can take them seriously anymore.

Nvidia vs AMD profit margins say otherwise, 65% vs 45%.
Nvidia can sell GPU for cheap because they are just cheaper to made, meanwhile AMD is getting squeezed by TSMC.
AMD makes much more than just GPU's, same for NVIDIA.

Both Samsung and TSMC are expected to raise wafer price.

Considering GeForce GPU's are around two times larger, use more expensive memory and have higher power consumption, I highly doubt neither GPUs or boards are cheaper to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back